Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overall, Score not that bad??

tag
EW800
Valued Contributor

Overall, Score not that bad??

Greetings All --  

This is such a great community.  Thanks to all!  

The short story is that about two years ago my wife and I went through some very ugly issues in regard to my employment and being forcced to relocate to keep my employment.  Is was at the worst possible time to sell a home, so regretfully we lost the home to foreclosure.  Mortage comoany would not cooperate for a short sale, even with two cash offers...  The foreclosuere was finalied about 13 months ago.  It was a BIG hit to the credit scores obviously, however we came out of it determined to improve the scores as quickly as possible.  I made sure that nothing got paid late and did everythign humanly possible to bring down Util to about 9% or so (should be about 5% next month.  

We are now sitting with these scores:  Experian: 693   Equifax: 675  TU: 680.   I know these scores are not great, however I am thinking that with going through a foreclousre just slightly over a year ago, these scores really are not all that bad.  I honestly thought that it would be quite a few more years sto recover with the foreclosure being on the reports.  

I am just wonering how some of you feel.  Are these scores not really all that bad with the foreclosure being so recent?   For those that have been through this, did you find it not that difficult to bounce back afterward by trying to do everything else?  

Thanks everyone!  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
April 2024: EX8: 839; EQ8: 845; TU8: 842 -- Middle Mortgage Score: 822
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Overall, Score not that bad??

I would agree, you're not in that bad of shape.  Let things age a bit and your scores will creep upwards.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
EW800
Valued Contributor

Shogun:  Congratulations on yor scores, especially with starting at 504!  You are my hero!  May I ask how long it took you to go from 504 to where you are today?  

Year 2012: All Scores in the 520 range, during a foreclosure, CC Settlement and high UTIL. Very ugly days...
In My Wallet: Discover $73.7K; Cap1 Venture $51.7K; Amex ED $38K; Amex Optima $2.5K; Amex Delta Gold $18K; Citi Costco $24.5K; Cap1 Plat $8.4K; Barclay $7K; Chase Amazon $6K; BoA Plat $21.6K; Citi TY Pref $22K; US Bank $4K; Dell $5K; Care Credit $6.5K. Total Revolving CL: $300K+
My UTIL: Less than 1% - Only allow about $20 a month to report, on one account. .
Message 3 of 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

It took me about 9 months to jump to the 700's.  Thanks to my bit of OCD.  Since that, I decided I was not going back into the pits.  So I've strived to do absolutely everything I could to become more financially healthy.  I just can't explain the relief it is.  Not scared of credit like I had been for quite some time.  The money I save now in what seems just about everything is incredible.  I just paid off $11k worth of debt, and fixing to pay down some more.  All I will have left is one small car payment for the new car I bought my son, and my mortgage.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 5
EW800
Valued Contributor

I am right there with you, Shogun.  We had hit our all time low with a few life issues taking place, however the day that the foreclosure was final, I made the committment to my wife and myself that we would do everything in our power to bounce back as quickly as possible.  For the last years, we have paid down everything we can, as quickly as we can.  As I mentioned previously, the scores actually turned around much quicker than I anticipated.  

The next 4 to 6 weeks will be interesting for us.  We will have literally $0 creidt card debt (will charge gas and such to still utilize, but will pay off each month), with just about six payments left on my wifes car.  I am hoping this will give us a bit more of a score bump, however I am not sure how much higher it can go this quickly, given that the foreclosure is still so recent.  

Feels very good to not be owened by the credit card companies anymore!  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.