Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overthinking Auto Loan Inquiry Impact?

tag
cmony787
Regular Contributor

Overthinking Auto Loan Inquiry Impact?

In reading the Son of Credit Scoring thread, the below information was provided:

Mortgage & Auto industry has special rules for inquiries: all applications for credit resulting in pulled credit reports within a 14 day period of time will only count as one inquiry & will be suppressed from affecting credit scores for 30 days. So if you plan to go shopping for a mortgage or a car, do your research first picking what companies you want to apply with and do this all within a 2 week period of time so that the scores are not affected too much.

I know that Inquires only make up a small % of your overall score and then after a year they become even less important plus surely my efforts to rebuild might be suited elsewhere....but I am stubburn and really want to acheive a clean CR prior to applying for a mortgage next May.

So with that being said. when I pull my CRs from CCT my inquires are EX 7 / TU 10 / EQ 16

Now I did 2 Auto Loans one on 2/6/15 and 9/30/15 and they are reporting as such:

2/06/15 Auto Loan        EX 2 / TU 2 / EQ 4

9/30/15 Auto Loan        EX 3 / TU 3 / EQ 9

Is there any recourse I should be taking with the CRAs or am I simply being too much of a nit and let time take its course?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
iv
Valued Contributor

Re: Overthinking Auto Loan Inquiry Impact?

@cmony787 wrote:

In reading the Son of Credit Scoring thread, the below information was provided:

Mortgage & Auto industry has special rules for inquiries: all applications for credit resulting in pulled credit reports within a 14 day period of time will only count as one inquiry & will be suppressed from affecting credit scores for 30 days. So if you plan to go shopping for a mortgage or a car, do your research first picking what companies you want to apply with and do this all within a 2 week period of time so that the scores are not affected too much.

I know that Inquires only make up a small % of your overall score and then after a year they become even less important plus surely my efforts to rebuild might be suited elsewhere....but I am stubburn and really want to acheive a clean CR prior to applying for a mortgage next May.

So with that being said. when I pull my CRs from CCT my inquires are EX 7 / TU 10 / EQ 16

Now I did 2 Auto Loans one on 2/6/15 and 9/30/15 and they are reporting as such:

2/06/15 Auto Loan        EX 2 / TU 2 / EQ 4

9/30/15 Auto Loan        EX 3 / TU 3 / EQ 9

Is there any recourse I should be taking with the CRAs or am I simply being too much of a nit and let time take its course?

A few things here:

Inquiries (properly coded) within a window (14 days for EX2, longer for others) count as one for scoring, but are still listed individually on reports.

Inquiries no longer count for scoring after 12 months, but are still listed on reports for 24 months.

Your inquiries from 2/6/2015 are not being scored now, and by next May when you apply for a mortage, the 9/30/2015 ones won't be, either.

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 2 of 3
cmony787
Regular Contributor

Re: Overthinking Auto Loan Inquiry Impact?

Thank you so much for feedback
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.