Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAID OFF HOUSE & SCORE WENT DOWN?!?!

tag
Yes-Sir_EE
New Visitor

PAID OFF HOUSE & SCORE WENT DOWN?!?!

I don't understand this.  We recently paid off our house and car and now our credit score went down.  We also paid off our ONLY credit card.  Yes, we have an excellent credit score, but it should have gone UP even more, should it not?  We have not applied for any other credit at all.  What's up?  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
user5387
Valued Contributor

Re: PAID OFF HOUSE & SCORE WENT DOWN?!?!

An open installment loan may help your scores.

Installment loans don't factor into utilization in the usual way, so they're not typically a drag while open.

Also, if you have a single CC showing a $0 balance, there might be an issue with whether letting it show a small balance will actually help you.  There are various threads around here that get into the nuances of this issue.

Message 2 of 11
Kratos-TM
Frequent Contributor

Unfortunately FICO likes an installment loan in the "mix of credit" category. On top of that, you can't have a zero balance on a CC even if you only have 1.

Myfico scores.....
EX... 805 (11-10-13)
EQ... 810 (12-02-13)
TU... 810 (12-02-13)
Message 3 of 11
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@Kratos-TM wrote:

Unfortunately FICO likes an installment loan in the "mix of credit" category. On top of that, you can't have a zero balance on a CC even if you only have 1.

If they just recently paid off the installment loan, wouldn't it still show until the 10 year mark?

Does the loan have to be open to contribute to a "good credit mix"?

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 4 of 11
coterotie
Established Contributor

Just an FYI, when I reported a zero balance across all my CC, it nailed my score by 50+ points. 

Message 5 of 11
user5387
Valued Contributor

Paying down utilization on revolving is treated differently than on installment.

For example, if you take out an auto loan or mortgage, your utilization in the early months or years will be very high, because you haven't really made much of a dent in paying it back.

This is not considered a negative, except in the sense of taking a short-term hit for a hard pull, new TL, lowered AAoA, along with possible DTI issues.

Once these things stabilize, then an installment loan may be seen as a positive.  The same is true of revolving, but only if you keep the utilization low.

Message 6 of 11
Peter1142
Established Contributor

Actually FICO does consider installment loan balances (expect mortgage, IIRC) vs amount borrowed. But separately and to a lesser extent to revolving util. I read the weight was increased in FICO 08 models.

FICO also considers your overall debt owed.

Unfortunately FICO is kind of stupid that a paid off loan typically drops a score. Any manual review will see it as a big positive.
Message 7 of 11
fungoman
Regular Contributor

I had this happen to me while we were building our new house that we closed on in January of 2013. We sold our old house in August of 2012 and I had the first wave of approval to start our new house before our old house closed. My scores from then to final rate lock approval in December/January dropped 40 points all due to the mortgage being paid off. Nothin else changed on my report.

Message 8 of 11
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

@Peter1142 wrote:
Actually FICO does consider installment loan balances (expect mortgage, IIRC) vs amount borrowed. But separately and to a lesser extent to revolving util. I read the weight was increased in FICO 08 models.

FICO also considers your overall debt owed.

Unfortunately FICO is kind of stupid that a paid off loan typically drops a score. Any manual review will see it as a big positive.

This tracks with what I see on my FICO scores from time to time:

"The remaining balance on your installment loans is too high.

Your FICO ® Score weighs the balances of your installment loans (such as auto or student loans) against the original loan amounts. In general, when you first obtain an installment loan your balance is high, and as you pay this loan down, the balance decreases."

This is from TU FICO from Walmart last month.

The only non-mortgage installment I have is for a car loan. I don't know what information is provided about the loan when they report, but they should be able to figure out that I pay ahead on the principal every month.  The balance is considerably lower than it would be if I had just been making the regular payments as agreed.

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 9 of 11
Flaca66

I signed up for MyFICO to try to see my scores get up to 825 or better.  Now I am worried that they may tank instead.  I paid off one mortgage in 2010, and the other one in 2012, after which I concentrated on my car loans.  I just paid off all three in February, and had sat back to watch my score climb.  So far, it has not budged.  I am trying to leave a small balance on each of my cards as of closing dates, but that is not as easy as I thought.  I don't have any plans for any new major loans, so apparently I have maxed out and can expect my scores to drop.  I think I will give it until June, then call it quits.

Starting Score: EX 808 EQ 777 TU 788
Current Score: EX 808 EQ 802 TU 792
Goal Score: 825

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.