Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIF or Settle - Charge Off but still with original creditor

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PIF or Settle - Charge Off but still with original creditor

I owe CapOne on an account that was charged off but never sent to a collection agency. The account is about 5 years delinquent. I am applying for a house so I need to get this taken care off. I am reading mixed reviews on what whether to try to settle or pay in full. Based on the simulator it seems like paying it in full would have a huge increase in my credit score since this debt is still coming up for my debt utilization. Does it matter that this was never sent to a collection agency? I'm just trying ot figure out what to do.

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PIF or Settle - Charge Off but still with original creditor

I forgot to mention that this is my only debt besides student loans and car payment. I had a few other charge offs but everything is paid in full but this.

Message 2 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No it doesn't matter that it was never sent to a CA.  It just means Cap one owns the debt and never assigned it to one.

Yes, paying it off will help you temendously.

Message 3 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I agree that paying it should help your FICO score, if paying significantly lowers your revolving utilization.    IMO it's also worth a shot to further negotiate with Cap1 to remove late payments.  

You are lucky that a CA didn't get the debt because you very likely would have had a collection appear on your reports and your FICO score would have been hit again.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 5 of 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yeah, I would advise negotiating for all the derogatory account info to be removed if possible.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 7
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

A settled account is considered derogatory and could lower your score. I would pay in full.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash+ 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 C State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Quorum FCU State Department FCU State Department FCU Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.