dparulis

PIF or Settle - Charge Off but still with original creditor

I owe CapOne on an account that was charged off but never sent to a collection agency. The account is about 5 years delinquent. I am applying for a house so I need to get this taken care off. I am reading mixed reviews on what whether to try to settle or pay in full. Based on the simulator it seems like paying it in full would have a huge increase in my credit score since this debt is still coming up for my debt utilization. Does it matter that this was never sent to a collection agency? I'm just trying ot figure out what to do.

Thanks

dparulis

Re: PIF or Settle - Charge Off but still with original creditor

I forgot to mention that this is my only debt besides student loans and car payment. I had a few other charge offs but everything is paid in full but this.

guiness56

No it doesn't matter that it was never sent to a CA.  It just means Cap one owns the debt and never assigned it to one.

Yes, paying it off will help you temendously.

pizzadude

I agree that paying it should help your FICO score, if paying significantly lowers your revolving utilization.    IMO it's also worth a shot to further negotiate with Cap1 to remove late payments.  

You are lucky that a CA didn't get the debt because you very likely would have had a collection appear on your reports and your FICO score would have been hit again.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
guiness56

[ Edited ]
pizzadude

Yeah, I would advise negotiating for all the derogatory account info to be removed if possible.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Valued Contributor
AndySoCal

A settled account is considered derogatory and could lower your score. I would pay in full.

Equifax My FICO score 815 5/28/2012, 818 on 7/28/2014 . Average of Accounts 12 years and no Installment accounts. MyFICO TU 810 6/26/2012 809 4/21/2013 MyFICO XPN -805. 2/26/2014 Discover TU FICO 813 App free since 9/2011

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}