Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIF

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PIF

What is the score effect of going paid in full on all ccs from carrying a balance on one card of $2000. The total credit before and after is $27,200.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PIF

creditwizard2 wrote:
What is the score effect of going paid in full on all ccs from carrying a balance on one card of $2000. The total credit before and after is $27,200.

Thanks.

Not much effect at all, as your utilization is already less than 10%.  In fact, you may actually lose a few points for showing $0 balances on all revolving accounts.  Ideally, you want to show a total utilization of 1-9%.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Were your other cards reporting 0 balances on their statement date or are you simply PIF before the due date? Even if you PIF your CR will show the balance on your statement date, thus showing you utilizing credit at some percentage.

If you had 0 balances and now have all 0 balances you might not experience a score increase because I believe the CRA FICO formulas like you to have a tiny balance  (1-9%) on at least one revolving account.

So to really answer your question we would need to know -

What was the limit on the card with the 2k balance
Are you PIF before your statement date or after and if after what sort of a statement balances do you have?

Unless the 2k figure moves you between a bracket, I doubt your score will increase much, as 2k on 27k+ credit is already below 10%. But if you have other balances reporting before you PIF....then you could see an increase of 5-7 points for lowering your util. But that is speculative without additional information.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

debtisgood wrote:

Were your other cards reporting 0 balances on their statement date or are you simply PIF before the due date?

Two other cards. One, BOA MasterCard limit $7200, util 0. Two, Chase Visa, brand new, no usage $10,000 limit.

I'm not PIF yet. I had $2000, and just paid $1500 before the statement hit. The new balance is now $500. I have a payment scheduled for them for $500 6/3.

What was the limit on the card with the 2k balance

Are you PIF before your statement date or after and if after what sort of a statement balances do you have?

See above. Now sitting on $500 statement due date 6/15.

Message Edited by creditwizard2 on 05-18-2008 07:45 PM

Message Edited by creditwizard2 on 05-18-2008 07:45 PM
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't expect much of a gain. Your overall util was low to begin with....sometimes people get hit for not having a balance reporting. You might see a 3-5 point score increase for having your one card with a balance below 20%, but I would make sure you continue leave a bit of the balance on before the statement date...I don't think all your cards reporting as 0 helps on most scores
Message 5 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Wiz, that is an age-old question on here that has no answer other than anecdotal experiences.  Many are firmly convinced, and probably rightfully, that the magic equation is:
At least half of accounts with zero balances reproted to the CRA, but not all.  The consensus seems to be to have at least one with a balance that does not lead to a util on that card of over 9%, or a total %util of not over 9% on all revolving TLs.. 
Some go to the tweak extreme of leaving a balance of under 10% on one or more, but less than half, of cards at the time the statement drops (assumed to be the CRA report date), and then reserving the full PIF for a few days after the CRA report date to avoid any balance carryover.
That is a lot of work, and something I leave to the FICO TweakMeisters!
Message 6 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:
Wiz, that is an age-old question on here that has no answer other than anecdotal experiences. Many are firmly convinced, and probably rightfully, that the magic equation is:
At least half of accounts with zero balances reproted to the CRA, but not all. The consensus seems to be to have at least one with a balance that does not lead to a util on that card of over 9%, or a total %util of not over 9% on all revolving TLs..
Some go to the tweak extreme of leaving a balance of under 10% on one or more, but less than half, of cards at the time the statement drops (assumed to be the CRA report date), and then reserving the full PIF for a few days after the CRA report date to avoid any balance carryover.
That is a lot of work, and something I leave to the FICO TweakMeisters!

That's a lot of work RG?
Message 7 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yup, because unless I am planning to app for new credit that month, then I am not going to worry about a double pay to keep util above zero one day, and then two days later bring it down to zero just to tweak my FICO when it is meaningless every month.
I dont wear my monthly FICO like a banner.
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:
Wiz, that is an age-old question on here that has no answer other than anecdotal experiences.

Cool. As long as the score change is small, I'm happy to PIF and declare no cc debt for the first time in a long time ;-)

-cw2
Message 9 of 11
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:
Yup, because unless I am planning to app for new credit that month, then I am not going to worry about a double pay to keep util above zero one day, and then two days later bring it down to zero just to tweak my FICO when it is meaningless every month.
I dont wear my monthly FICO like a banner.

I don't double pay any credit cards and just let a couple revolve a balance every month. Then I pay those two and rotate. I only have a few cards to rotate. I sit down with my bills every week for 5 minutes. That's it. Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.