cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid Collections still affecting my score-what can I do?

tag
anitsirc

Paid Collections still affecting my score-what can I do?

I have two collections (one for a 2009 Credit Card, and one for a cancellation fee of AT&T). Both collections started in 2007, when I was out of job.

Both were paid in full in 2009, both still appear in my credit history as per today. MyFico report indicates these two items will remain in my credit history until 2016. :-(

Is there any way I can clear these from my record? I tried to do a dispute, but it came back as "verified" :-(

In 2012 I did a major improvement in my credit score, starting at 550 last year, now I am at 690. Effort included paying off some debt, and getting a new AmEx credit card (using my husbands existing account). Since we use the card every month, and pay it in full every month, both our scores improved tremendously during 2012.

But it seems that I cannot take my credit score into the 700's because of these two paid-collection items mentioned above.

Any recommendations?

Starting Score: 599
Current Score: 599
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Paid Collections still affecting my score-what can I do?

A paid collection will stay on your CR.  Unfortunately paying it doesn't remove it.  Your best course of action would to be start the GW process and see if you can get them off that way.  GWs work, I can attest to that.  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 11
TeeGee
Contributor

What is a GW?  I have a similar situation with an old CA that is NOT paid, and I haven't touched it, because I heard if you have an old CA like that to let it alone.  By paying it so late, I will only extend it into 2020!!!  (I posted my particular problem in another thread about a southwest card under credit cards).  

Not sure what a GW is.  Thanks.

Amex $6K BankofAmer $2K CapPlatinum $2.5K Macys $1K Chase RR $16K CapQS $2.5K Discover $8.5K IN THE GARDEN til 6/1/2015
Beginning FICO 630 ish EQ 732/EXP 735/TU 753 (Aug) Goal 800
Message 3 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

A GW is a Goodwill.  That's where you write them a letter telling them about your situation and politely ask for them to remove their posting.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 11
bluescale
Regular Contributor

@TeeGee wrote:

I heard if you have an old CA like that to let it alone.  By paying it so late, I will only extend it into 2020!!!

Is that true?  I didn't think paying on an outstanding debt reset the clock on when it drops off your report.  That seems counter productive to getting people to pay their debts.

Message 5 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@bluescale wrote:

@TeeGee wrote:

I heard if you have an old CA like that to let it alone.  By paying it so late, I will only extend it into 2020!!!

Is that true?  I didn't think paying on an outstanding debt reset the clock on when it drops off your report.  That seems counter productive to getting people to pay their debts.

NO, absolutely NOT true.  Nothing extends the reporting time.  The time it falls off your report is a federal law and cannot be changed.

What can happen by paying an older CA that has not reported in years is it will update to a current date appearing to be a newer collection and drop your score.

Message 6 of 11
bluescale
Regular Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@bluescale wrote:

@TeeGee wrote:

NO, absolutely NOT true.  Nothing extends the reporting time.  The time it falls off your report is a federal law and cannot be changed.

What can happen by paying an older CA that has not reported in years is it will update to a current date appearing to be a newer collection and drop your score.

I'm guessing the drop would be temporary.  And having an unpaid collection on your record is much more detrimental than a paid collection.

@TeeGee - I would recommend trying a Pay For Delete with the collection agency.

Message 7 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@bluescale wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@bluescale wrote:

@TeeGee wrote:

I'm guessing the drop would be temporary.  And having an unpaid collection on your record is much more detrimental than a paid collection.

@TeeGee - I would recommend trying a Pay For Delete with the collection agency.

The drop would not be temporary.  It would be the same as if a new collection just hit your report.  Paid and unpaid collections are scored the same by FICO.  To creditors a paid collection will look better.

Getting a PFD is the only way to improve your score.

Message 8 of 11
bluescale
Regular Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:
The drop would not be temporary.  It would be the same as if a new collection just hit your report.  Paid and unpaid collections are scored the same by FICO.  To creditors a paid collection will look better.

Getting a PFD is the only way to improve your score.

So, to make sure I understand correctly, paying it poses no benefit as far as FICO score goes, but it will help when it comes to manual review.

Message 9 of 11
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Yes, you are correct.  Paid and unpaid are scored the same by FICO, as a collection.  Manual reviews would see it as paid and that is a good thing.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.