Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid down balance and no score change

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid down balance and no score change

Whenever I pay a card whether it's minimum or above I see a score increase. I just paid $800 to one of my capital one cards and it brought the balance down to under 30%. And no score change? lol I was expecting a little something. Is that normal?
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid down balance and no score change

On top of that, a cli reported too
Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

following

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Whenever I pay a card whether it's minimum or above I see a score increase. I just paid $800 to one of my capital one cards and it brought the balance down to under 30%. And no score change? lol I was expecting a little something. Is that normal?

What is your aggregate utilization?  What was it prior to your pay down verses now?  Individual account utilization is far less important than overall utilization.  While you may have crossed a threshold (30%) on the one trade line, if you didn't cross a threshold overall you wouldn't necessarily realize a score increase.  Many on this forum have reported no score ding on an individual trade line utilization change between 1% and 49% (under 50%) so long as aggregate utilization doesn't cross a threshold.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was about 55% before I think...now I think overall it's 38-40%
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you should have crossed one threshold in passing the 49% point of aggregate utilization.  I would think that you would have received a slight scoring increase at that time, unless something else happened at the same time that hurt your score and it was a wash.

Message 6 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope, no changes other than a new address. I will have to go back and look at the exact util percentage. But I just got increases with Synchrony totaling in $5,100 so I'm curious to see what that will do. Nothing but positive changes have been happening.
Message 7 of 15
DeeCorey
New Contributor

I'm following this thread because I have the exact same issue. I paid down my balances slightly, but my Fingerhut reported a significant CLI, bringing my aggregate utilization from 60% to 39%. My score did not budge. It's exactly the same as it was before. Meanwhile my FAKO scores jumped 30 and 32 points as a result of the same change! It's beyond irritating.

What's also irritating me is that the last time I paid down my balances by a similar amount my FICO 8 score jumped 35 points. I was so expecting to see an increase this month, so I'm wondering what the heck is going on. 😕

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you guys sure that you're new balances are reported before you are expecting to see a score increase?  If you pay down a card significantly a few days after your balance reports, it could be 3-4 weeks before the new (lower) balance reports which means it could be that long before you see a scoring benefit.

Message 9 of 15
DeeCorey
New Contributor

I'm positive. My EX FICO 8 updates MONTHLY. On my March 11th report my total credit utilization was 60% and my score was 656. On the April 11th report, all accounts and balances had updated, total utilization was down to 39%. Score: 656. I was more than a little miffed because this is he first time since I've been closely following my credit (over a year now) that I haven't had ANY change in score with that significant of an update. Like I said, even my FAKO on CK jumped 32 points with the SAME update! And last time I paid my Cap1 card to a 0 balance back in October my EX FICO 8 jumped 35 points. This has me stumped.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.