cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off Loan...Credit Score went Down??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paid off Loan...Credit Score went Down??

Rev, I don't think anyone is suggesting that it's a bad thing that there are new people here or that they are asking questions and looking for answers as newcomers.  If the same things are coming up again and again though, whether it be score drops from paying off an installment loan or all CCs, that CK scores aren't FICO scores, that myFICO alerts are not always the reason for a score drop, etc. it would make logical sense that these topics would be covered in a sticky thread somewhere.  I get it if these things only came up once every other week or something, but it's literally almost every day.  By definition, it makes those topics FAQ and it would only help the individuals asking those questions of the answers were already readily available.

While we definitely want to take care of our new forum members and make this a great place for them to continue to visit, I think it's equally important to take care of our veterans that contribute to the forum daily.  I don't want to see them either start to ignore these sort of repeat thread topics, or start posting macro style replies that are of the cut and paste variety.  There was a forum member that I won't name that used to do that in literally every thread he posted in and as a newer member last summer it drove me absolutely insane.  My point is that I believe a win-win would be achieved if we were to devise a common thread topic FAQ.

Message 11 of 15
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Rev, I don't think anyone is suggesting that it's a bad thing that there are new people here or that they are asking questions and looking for answers as newcomers.  If the same things are coming up again and again though, whether it be score drops from paying off an installment loan or all CCs, that CK scores aren't FICO scores, that myFICO alerts are not always the reason for a score drop, etc. it would make logical sense that these topics would be covered in a sticky thread somewhere.  I get it if these things only came up once every other week or something, but it's literally almost every day.  By definition, it makes those topics FAQ and it would only help the individuals asking those questions of the answers were already readily available.

While we definitely want to take care of our new forum members and make this a great place for them to continue to visit, I think it's equally important to take care of our veterans that contribute to the forum daily.  I don't want to see them either start to ignore these sort of repeat thread topics, or start posting macro style replies that are of the cut and paste variety.  There was a forum member that I won't name that used to do that in literally every thread he posted in and as a newer member last summer it drove me absolutely insane.  My point is that I believe a win-win would be achieved if we were to devise a common thread topic FAQ.

This is a community forum.

There is nothing stopping you or anyone else from writing a FAQ, and I think you'll find the administration of this forum (however you define that) has always been receptive to such things.

There's plenty of examples of where stickies can be used appropriately, the old Amex 3X CLI thread for example which was stickied for years and dropped the incidence rate of every fourth thread (which was saying something given Approvals and Apps hadn't been split out of CC's yet) down to something entirely more manageable.  You don't have to convince me of the merits of doing that Smiley Happy.

Just someone needs to take point (you?), just understand is it's a non-trivial project to do a FAQ well.

        
Message 12 of 15
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Is the critical point that at least 1 installment account be kept open?

I have 2 student loans and a car loan, but keeping only one of those would be optimal, correct?

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MontegoMack wrote:

Is the critical point that at least 1 installment account be kept open?

I have 2 student loans and a car loan, but keeping only one of those would be optimal, correct?

There's evidence in other data points that overall installment utilization has SOME effect on FICO, depending on the TYPE of loan and the % balance left.

One loan or multiple loans don't matter as long as it's more than zero.  Utilization below 9% appears to offer the most boost for a personal installment loan but for auto or mortgage, we don't have enough data points as far as I know.

No clue about student loans as I don't pay much attention there.

Message 14 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good Morning.
I had a small loan from my credit union, I just paid it off and the CU reported to the credit agencies that my loan was paid in full, no late or missed payments.
In fact, I paid it off a bit early. Now, I get an alert that my score has gone down as a result of this reporting. How can that be possible? Will it bounce back? 

Thank you!

FICO 8 rewards you for having your installment loan(s) mostly paid off (i.e. 1% to 9% of face amount(s)) but dings you when you have no open installment loans reporting.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.