cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off a disputed charge that was sent to collections and my credit score dropped 57 points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid off a disputed charge that was sent to collections and my credit score dropped 57 points

I am so upset.  Randomly checked my credit score and was shocked to find 3 collection accounts totalling $791 for a surgery my son had 2 years  ago that we paid in full 2 years ago.  I immediately called the collection agency and reluctantly paid them off but not before begging them to remove it from my credit report.  She stated she would put in the request but couldn't promise and also assured me she was mailing me a receipt.  3 weeks later no receipt and on one report it shows paid in full but the accounts still show AND the worst part is my credit score dropped 57 points to a POOR rating despite no other changes.  On another report my score is even lower that that and shows them still owed and active.  Devastating.  What can I do? I have always had good credit.  

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Paid off a disputed charge that was sent to collections and my credit score dropped 57 points

@Anonymous wrote:

I am so upset.  Randomly checked my credit score and was shocked to find 3 collection accounts totalling $791 for a surgery my son had 2 years  ago that we paid in full 2 years ago.  I immediately called the collection agency and reluctantly paid them off but not before begging them to remove it from my credit report.  She stated she would put in the request but couldn't promise and also assured me she was mailing me a receipt.  3 weeks later no receipt and on one report it shows paid in full but the accounts still show AND the worst part is my credit score dropped 57 points to a POOR rating despite no other changes.  On another report my score is even lower that that and shows them still owed and active.  Devastating.  What can I do? I have always had good credit.  

Welcome to my Fico Smiley Happy

Sounds like they were not updating monthly so when they updated to PIF the status date came current and it looks new in the eyes of FIco causing a score drop. It doesnt help your score to just pay them. I would have attempted to work with the OC on these to have the collection recalled and then pay them off in full. If you dont get the PFD or the recall from the OC and they are not updating monthly I would just let them sit. Whats done is done and your only chance now of removing them is GW letters to them asking for the removal.   http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Stories/td-p/1573680   I wish you good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.