cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off car loan - FICO dropped. Got a new car loan - FICO dropped. Huh?

tag
Nyrell
Valued Member

Paid off car loan - FICO dropped. Got a new car loan - FICO dropped. Huh?

I subscribe to all 3 FICO scores.  In May, I paid off my car loan and my scores dropped on EX and EQ by 14 points each.

In July, I took out a new car loan and my scores dropped another 11 points!   At the same time my utlization dropped to 0% for the first time ever.

Anyone have any insight to this insanity?  

Thanks!

AMEX EVERYDAY - $22,000
PNC - $500
DISCOVER - $4,000
TOTAL REWARDS VISA - $4,000
MARVEL MC - $8,500
WALMART MC - $7,500
CHASE SAPPHIRE - $22,000 '
CHASE FREEDOM - $23,000
CHASE FREEDOM UNLIMITED - $22,000
CBCFCU - $7,500
SPORTSMENS VISA - $15,000
SAG-AFTRA VISA - $15,000
CITIBANK COSTCO - $19,000
CITI SIMPLICITY - $11,700
OVERSTOCK - $8,500
BARCLAYS - $2,500
CAP-1 SIGNATURE - $15,000
CAP-1 PLATINUM - $4,500

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Total 10% Utilization

------------------------------------------------------------------
EXPERIAN - 774 EQUIFAX - 782 TRANSUNION - 781
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Re: Paid off car loan - FICO dropped. Got a new car loan - FICO dropped. Huh?

Scoring is based on a mix of credit products utilized, revolving, installment and long term installment such as a Mortgage. Best scoring results will be when you have all three and carry a balance on all three because it's based on current status in addition to other factors. By paying off your car loan (installment) you have a history of a paid loan, but NO utilization for installment which means it doesn't get scored. By pay off your revolving accounts - same thing.

Very(!) simple example using a 3 point score 1=poor or bad, 2 = good, 3 = perfect. Obviously its more complex.

Revolving currently "perfect" = 3

Mortgage = perfect = 3

Installment = 0 because you have none

3+3+0 / 3 = 2 which would be the middle  "good"  rating.

By paying off you installment you got a 0, by paying off all revolving you got another 0 so 0+0+3 /3 = 1 which is not good as far as scoring.

Again, this is a very simple example and FICO scoring is not as simple, but you'll get some idea.

January 2016 I paid off one of my auto loans which resulted in a 19 point drop, in March I added a car loan for the replacement car and I saw a 14 point increase - I assume the 5 point different is due to higher debt load. However I have a very thick file with a lot of accounts over a lot of years so the overall effect was very little.

You should see a bump up with the new auto loan and if you carry a "reported" small balance on at least one revolving account each month, you'll see another bump up. 

Bottom line to remember is your one day/week/month score is not that important unless you are seeking new credit so other than the ego issue, the ups and downs of the scoring models are not really a factor - defaults and lates are a lasting effect, that's very different.

Message 2 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Nyrell wrote:

I subscribe to all 3 FICO scores.  In May, I paid off my car loan and my scores dropped on EX and EQ by 14 points each.

In July, I took out a new car loan and my scores dropped another 11 points!   At the same time my utlization dropped to 0% for the first time ever.

Thanks!

1. When you paid off your car loan, if you had no other installment loans, you lost points for lack of "credit mix".

2. When you took out the new loan you lost points because of high utilization.

3. As you pay down the new car loan your points will come back.

4. By 'utilization' you're apparently referring to credit card utilization. You can get some points there by having one card report a minimal balance, rather than having all cards at zero.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 10
tjmolly
Regular Contributor

Face it, the FICO algorithm does everything in it's power to give the consumer the shaft.  If the "bank" can't see through just a FICO-score when you apply for any form of credit, they lose as they make no money if they don't loan. Period!!! Avoid banks.  I've used P2P lending got phenomenal rates having a >780 FICO and have never bothered with banks. Just my 2-cents worth.  Best of luck!

Message 4 of 10
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

Scoring is based on a mix of credit products utilized, revolving, installment and long term installment such as a Mortgage. Best scoring results will be when you have all three and carry a balance on all three because it's based on current status in addition to other factors. By paying off your car loan (installment) you have a history of a paid loan, but NO utilization for installment which means it doesn't get scored. By pay off your revolving accounts - same thing.

Very(!) simple example using a 3 point score 1=poor or bad, 2 = good, 3 = perfect. Obviously its more complex.

Revolving currently "perfect" = 3

Mortgage = perfect = 3

Installment = 0 because you have none

3+3+0 / 3 = 2 which would be the middle  "good"  rating.

By paying off you installment you got a 0, by paying off all revolving you got another 0 so 0+0+3 /3 = 1 which is not good as far as scoring.

Again, this is a very simple example and FICO scoring is not as simple, but you'll get some idea.

January 2016 I paid off one of my auto loans which resulted in a 19 point drop, in March I added a car loan for the replacement car and I saw a 14 point increase - I assume the 5 point different is due to higher debt load. However I have a very thick file with a lot of accounts over a lot of years so the overall effect was very little.

You should see a bump up with the new auto loan and if you carry a "reported" small balance on at least one revolving account each month, you'll see another bump up. 

Bottom line to remember is your one day/week/month score is not that important unless you are seeking new credit so other than the ego issue, the ups and downs of the scoring models are not really a factor - defaults and lates are a lasting effect, that's very different.

Good explanation.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 5 of 10
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Nyrell wrote:

Thanks!

1. When you paid off your car loan, if you had no other installment loans, you lost points for lack of "credit mix".

4. By 'utilization' you're apparently referring to credit card utilization. You can get some points there by having one card report a minimal balance, rather than having all cards at zero.

Good explanation.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 6 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@surferchris wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Nyrell wrote:

Thanks!

Good explanation.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 10
Nyrell
Valued Member

You, in fact, are brilliant - PipeGuy.

Instead of paying off all my credit cards I went ahead and retained a 5% balance.   The result was my credit score JUMPING from 701 to 757!!!!!

Who rocks?   PIPEGUY!  

Thank you!

AMEX EVERYDAY - $22,000
PNC - $500
DISCOVER - $4,000
TOTAL REWARDS VISA - $4,000
MARVEL MC - $8,500
WALMART MC - $7,500
CHASE SAPPHIRE - $22,000 '
CHASE FREEDOM - $23,000
CHASE FREEDOM UNLIMITED - $22,000
CBCFCU - $7,500
SPORTSMENS VISA - $15,000
SAG-AFTRA VISA - $15,000
CITIBANK COSTCO - $19,000
CITI SIMPLICITY - $11,700
OVERSTOCK - $8,500
BARCLAYS - $2,500
CAP-1 SIGNATURE - $15,000
CAP-1 PLATINUM - $4,500

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Total 10% Utilization

------------------------------------------------------------------
EXPERIAN - 774 EQUIFAX - 782 TRANSUNION - 781
Message 8 of 10
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Heh.... I can't really take credit for your good payment history, but I'm glad to see my "simple" example helped you stay ahead in the game. 

Just don't yell at me when it drops for some unknown reason....that's my wife's job (yelling at me for unknown reasons) and she's damn good at it  (lots of practice)Smiley Frustrated

Message 9 of 10
Appleman
Valued Contributor

The FICO algorithms are not designed to give people the shaft, they are designed to create profit while balancing the risk and reward of lending to the public. Millions if not billions of data points have made the FICO machine pretty good at determining how a certain credit profile will perform with their credit.

The system can be harsh with the penalties that are applied when a mistep occurs and it can also be gamed. Again, these are just my 2 cents.

Peer to peer lending is great, which lender do you recommend?

I would find it hard to believe that a P2P will have a lower interest rate on a car note as compared to PenFed, DCU etc.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.