Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paid off mortgage - score went down

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paid off mortgage - score went down

Not sure if this topic is still alive, but just had the same thing happen to me.  Paid off mortgage.  Same day it was recorded on myFICO, score dropped 23 points!!!!! Yes, TWENTY-THREE points.  Moderator, please don't "vote" something else went wrong.  How is it actually calculated and WHY does paying off anything have such a drastic effect???? Makes NO sense at all.  Had a mortgage for over 10 years, managed it well enough to NEVER be late or miss a payment.  Managed it so well, I was able to pay it off.  Can't keep the account open since it's a mortgage and obviously when it's paid off, it HAS to close.  How does that make ANY SENSE?  Had a loan for 10+ years, perfect payment history, pay if off and FICO tells me I can't manage my debts?  B.S.

The only other thing that happened the same day was payment of a credit card balance from $2500 down to $0 was recorded as well.  Since myFICO chooses to commingle the days transactions into one summed number, I don't know the effect of each individual transaction, but I've previously paid down a credit card balance and had my score go up 8 points, so I don't think this credit card payoff caused it to go down.  So I can only assume that the credit card payoff made it go up, let's say 5 points, and the mortgage made it go down, let's say 28 points, so my final tally was (-28 + 5 = -23).  My FICO score (using Experian data) went down 23 points.  Completely ridiculous!  I no longer have a large monthly mortgage payment, so I am better able to handle more debt, yet according to this score, the banks don't think I can.  How does that make any sense?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Paid off mortgage - score went down

Hi ExasperatedAtFICO, I split your post into a new discussion as it was posted on a thread that's over a year old.

Was this your only open installment loan?   If so, then we've noticed that the FICO08 score model here can drop your scores if you move from 1 --> 0 open installment loans.

Take a look at this discussion:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Installment-Loan-Closed-A-Large-Drop-In-F...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 6
dhypolite

well  welcome to the club i thought my score would go up higher . but  my score was 773  dropped to 747 . call fico they said because  mortgagae account  close . after pay off. i didnt closed the account. now i have to find a way to get my score up again .

Message 3 of 6
Luscher
Valued Contributor

LESS DEBT > SCORE
CHASE FREEDOM | AMEX BCE | | BOFA REWARDS | CITI TYP | Quicksilver | DISCOVER IT | Sallie Mae | CHASE CSP
--------$32,000-------------$30,000-----------$30,000-----------$30,000-----$13,000---------$18,200----------$15,000---------$6,500----

FICO - TU: 780 EX: 784 EQ: 781
Message 4 of 6
wa3more
Established Contributor

yes, it went down because it is a debt score really and not a credit score.

as you pay off debt, less for FICO to evaluate.

Message 5 of 6
merlinflex
Frequent Contributor

I had a 15 year mortgage that I paid off in 11.3 months and my score did not budge either way when I paid off in March last year.  But I paid off an old 2004 Ford Ranger, $198/month with Cap1 and I paid off early (bought to haul things back in forth while I was remodeling my house) in late 2014 and my score dropped 5pts in Jan 2014.  Go figure.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.