Regular Contributor
mxnuy1

Paid old chargeoff - score went up 13 points

[ Edited ]
I've been paying a couple old bad accounts on my credit report and wanted to share that I paid a chargeoff and the only difference on my report is that it is now reporting as a paid chargeoff. My score went up 13 points. It was not a revolving/credit card debt.

I'm very surprised because everything I read says paying off old debt (bad debt) will probably not help your score.

Message Edited by mxnuy1 on 03-31-2008 06:32 AM
Moderator Emeritus
ByrdMan

Re: Paid old chargeoff - score went up 13 points

Congrats. What kind of charge off was it? When is it due to fall off of the CRs?

It was a 2 year old collection/chargeoff. I've been trying to clean up my credit from a bad situation I got into a few years ago. No baddies added in 24 months and only positive added since.

I'm really surprised, because that's more points than I have received for having a negative deleted altogether. Plus, I settled it too - it was Verizon for $657.

I paid off a collection at the same time that is still under investigation for updating and I'm waiting to see if I get any points for a paid collection.

Is it possible these are FICO 08 changes - getting some points for paying old debt?
Moderator Emeritus
ByrdMan

No, it's not FICO 08, as it's not in effect yet. When you paid it, did you attempt at a PFD?

[ Edited ]
I've been attempting PFDs on several different accounts since last September. I haven't had luck with a single one. I decided to pay the Verizon bill before it was recorded as having gone to a collection agency.

I checked the report. It's still on there. The only difference is that it's showing paid and I know the 13 point gain was related to the payoff because it was an alert that an account had changed to paid/zero balance(giving the Verizon information) and the 13 point score increase.

Message Edited by mxnuy1 on 03-31-2008 03:54 PM

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+