Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay credit card down to zero and equifax score drops

tag
nycfico
Regular Contributor

Pay credit card down to zero and equifax score drops

I've been rebuilding for over a year and I know the consistent advice is to not worry too much about short term fluctations and vagaries of FICO scores.  Still, I'm hoping to buy a house next year and am watching everything like a hawk.

My Equifax score was 637 coming into today, and it's been pretty much at that level now for a couple of months.  I have small credit card lines...about $2500 in total.  The past couple of months, I've been between 90% and 100% utilization...mainly because the lines are so small and with work expenses, and paying off a lien, I'm living sometimes pretty close to the edge, despite a high income. 

But this month I've started attacking util% and my first step was paying off a $650 balance on a $700 CL card. I paid it off a week or so ago, it reported today, down to $0 and my scored dropped three points.

Now, I didn't neccessarily think I'd get a signficiant initial bump on my score as that was about 25% of my balance (another couple of cards are also at $0 now and within about a week I should be at below 30% util.)  But why in the world would my score actually drop 3 points by paying off my card and having a $0 balance with a $700 CL??

Wow can this stuff be frustrating!!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pay credit card down to zero and equifax score drops

@nycfico wrote:

I've been rebuilding for over a year and I know the consistent advice is to not worry too much about short term fluctations and vagaries of FICO scores.  Still, I'm hoping to buy a house next year and am watching everything like a hawk.

My Equifax score was 637 coming into today, and it's been pretty much at that level now for a couple of months.  I have small credit card lines...about $2500 in total.  The past couple of months, I've been between 90% and 100% utilization...mainly because the lines are so small and with work expenses, and paying off a lien, I'm living sometimes pretty close to the edge, despite a high income. 

But this month I've started attacking util% and my first step was paying off a $650 balance on a $700 CL card. I paid it off a week or so ago, it reported today, down to $0 and my scored dropped three points.

Now, I didn't neccessarily think I'd get a signficiant initial bump on my score as that was about 25% of my balance (another couple of cards are also at $0 now and within about a week I should be at below 30% util.)  But why in the world would my score actually drop 3 points by paying off my card and having a $0 balance with a $700 CL??

Wow can this stuff be frustrating!!!

FIco is a very complex beast! it has happened to me that when i pay down my cards my scores go up and down!

good luck 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.