Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off Debt and drop wife as AU user?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off Debt and drop wife as AU user?

My wife is an authorized user on my credit card ive had a little over a month. She is currently trying to rebuild her score for employment oppurtunity. The card Of mine she is on is the youngest of cards she is associated with. All of hers are much older, but she has over 60% utilization on each. But a situation occured and now we are skating the utilization limit line. My question is, would it be positive for her to just transfer her balance on her credit cards that are just hers to mine where she is the authorized user, bringing all of her solo cards utilization down to 0-1%, then take her off as the authorized user on mine, making her oldest credit lines still exist and her utilization without me extremely low. That way when they randomly pull her credit shes ok for the job, and we can chip away at the debt on my end without her being affected? For me personally, I have no intent whatsoever on applying for any kind of credit anytime soon so chipping away at a high utilization would not bother me, but if she misses out on this job, that is a substantial increase on pay she will miss out on and affect our family as a whole. 

4 REPLIES 4
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Re: Pay off Debt and drop wife as AU user?

It would help if you gave us a bit more information so that we could give you accurate advice.

Your scores? Her scores?

How many credit cards do you have and what is your utilization? Age of credit cards?

How many credit cards does your wife have? Age of credit cards?

Do either of you have any baddies on your reports?

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

My eq is 666, Experian 652, and 640 TransUnion according to Identity Gaurd, and discover FICO app says 700. Her scores are all in the 500-600 Range and we need her at a 640 ASAP. Right now I’m at about 9000.00 of 13,100 available. I have 1 late payment in last year. She has a few. Her utilization on her own right now, without my card, would be at like 95%, which is why I said I would transfer all of her balances and and take her off of my card.

She has 4 cards. One is over s year old and the others are less than a year old. I have 4 cards, one being over 6 years old and the other three, a little over 2 months old, including the one she is an authorized user on. It has showed up on her credit because I put her on it to up her available credit.
Message 3 of 5
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Suggest going to the website of whatever card you plan to use, read the terms of agreement on balance transfers. I think many do not allow it on AUs, some allow to get a draw again your cash limit to yourself, or check, deposit to your personal checking (if joint better) then she can pay off the balances.

Just a tip, you may not now be in a market for anything major, house, car, but running high utilization, regardless of payment history, scares the crap out of creditors, and can cause them to take adverse action against your CCs ie, closing account, reducing your credit limit with each payment you make. Trying to help her can potentially destroy your credit, since your utilization is quite high itself. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm curious - when you say Transunion due to Identity Guard, is there something wrong with Identity Guard and scoring?   Searching the forums for Transunion Identity Guard yields a lot of results.  My TU has a lower score than it used to and the only thing that has changed was Identity Guard now that I think about it.  I chalked it up to something random that I just wasn't seeing.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.