cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off installment loan, Lose 8 points! You just can't win!

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Pay off installment loan, Lose 8 points! You just can't win!

Paid off an unsecured loan in March and it is just now reporting.  I lost 8 point now that the account is paid in full and closed.

Yes, I understand credit mix is part of the issue, but I still have two student loans which I believe should still fall into that category.

I just don't get it?  Never late on the installment loans! Then boom....8 point drop!!!!

Smiley Sad

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Pay off installment loan, Lose 8 points! You just can't win!

I lost more than that when my last open installment stopped reporting.  I am hoping my new car loan (which is now on EX and soon will be on all 3) brings it back, but probably not, since I will take a new account hit along with it.

But, unless you need another installment, opening a new one is probably not the answer.  Just continue to focus on your current lines and bring your util down before any new apps.  Thats what I just did and was approved with both Chase and Amex with no open installments.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 7
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@DaveSignal wrote:

I lost more than that when my last open installment stopped reporting.  I am hoping my new car loan (which is now on EX and soon will be on all 3) brings it back, but probably not, since I will take a new account hit along with it.

But, unless you need another installment, opening a new one is probably not the answer.  Just continue to focus on your current lines and bring your util down before any new apps.  Thats what I just did and was approved with both Chase and Amex with no open installments.

I am just really surprised since the student loans are also considered installment loans, correct?  I will be adding a auto loan shortly...but having the score drop like this did not help.  My cc's will be reporting from 30 ->20% util% shortly. But it seems like a two steps forward, 3 steps backwards kind of results!

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 3 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@BluePoodle wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

I am just really surprised since the student loans are also considered installment loans, correct?  I will be adding a auto loan shortly...but having the score drop like this did not help.  My cc's will be reporting from 30 ->20% util% shortly. But it seems like a two steps forward, 3 steps backwards kind of results!

How are the SL's reporting?

I don't think it's mix of credit that you and others have stumbled into: I got a lot more than 8 points at a far lower score than what you or Dave are at when I got my first installment tradeline: also got more on my second one come to think of it.

We've had people report over time losing a couple of points when they have less than two open installment lines... I'm actually a little more paranoid than most since I know a 700 was the difference between my obtaining a mortgage vs. not being able to afford a home in S. Cali (least one that I wanted), and so I'm pulling my stupid secured installment loan trick again with USAA, this time for an 84 month loan at an effective rate of 2% on $2500 at a cost of $26/year.  Also debating doing a cash out refinance on my car (since I paid it off so bloody quickly trying to clear room for a DTI calculation which became moot) but that's more for cash preservation purposes than anything else... though I could drop my insurance through the floor if I owned my car outright at a savings of 1k/year apparently, may wind up doing that given my driving history though I suppose there's a first time for everything (accident).

        
Message 4 of 7
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@BluePoodle wrote:

@DaveSignal wrote:

How are the SL's reporting?

I don't think it's mix of credit that you and others have stumbled into: I got a lot more than 8 points at a far lower score than what you or Dave are at when I got my first installment tradeline: also got more on my second one come to think of it.

We've had people report over time losing a couple of points when they have less than two open installment lines... I'm actually a little more paranoid than most since I know a 700 was the difference between my obtaining a mortgage vs. not being able to afford a home in S. Cali (least one that I wanted), and so I'm pulling my stupid secured installment loan trick again with USAA, this time for an 84 month loan at an effective rate of 2% on $2500 at a cost of $26/year.  Also debating doing a cash out refinance on my car (since I paid it off so bloody quickly trying to clear room for a DTI calculation which became moot) but that's more for cash preservation purposes than anything else... though I could drop my insurance through the floor if I owned my car outright at a savings of 1k/year apparently, may wind up doing that given my driving history though I suppose there's a first time for everything (accident).

My SL's are my oldest accounts. I have one baddie of 90 day late pay back in Jan 2011.  My only open accounts now are my two CC's one reporting 0 balance and the second with a balance. My second sl is reporting paid as agreed. When my Cap1 reports my CLI and my Discover reports my next payment, I will be at 20% util, however since it is all on one card I am taking a ding there too. $1550/2000 CL. While Cap1 is $0/5750.  So I will see the increase from 30 down to 20% util.  

I will loose one old account in May that is aging off after 10 years, so that may drop my AAoA.  I have two accounts out of three still showing a collection with Midland. TU dropped it but I am still waiting to see what EX and EQ decide.  After that I am going to GW letter the 90 day with Nelnet (but I am going to assume they won't budge) and I have one last baddie, a tax lien that I am requesting the state withdraw.  

I am going to be adding an auto loan probably some time in May, so having this drop sucks. I was really hoping the 20% util score boost would push me into 700's on all 3 lines. I am waiting to see what my TU score is on my next discover statement since that is the only one that the Midland collection has been removed from. Credit.com has it at 726 but it's FAKO so it's anyones guess at this point!

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 5 of 7
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

Paid off an unsecured loan in March and it is just now reporting.  I lost 8 point now that the account is paid in full and closed.

Yes, I understand credit mix is part of the issue, but I still have two student loans which I believe should still fall into that category.

I just don't get it?  Never late on the installment loans! Then boom....8 point drop!!!!

Smiley Sad

I only lost 5 points with EX. Still waiting on my Discover statement to see what TU reports!

Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

It does not surprise me. Paid of an auto installment loan in September and my score dropped. Took out a new auto installment loan and my score went up. FICO likes to see some active credit utilization and your scores will recover but it is enough to drive you crazy.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.