Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off or let it ride

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay off or let it ride

I have a general question relating to credit scores. I currently have a car payment and a scooter payment,  as well as a very low student loan payment. I have several student loans that are currently in deferment while I attend school. I have three credit cards which I keep either paid off every month or very low balances. My scores are EQ 707, TU 707, and EX 765. (There is some erroneous account information still lingering on the TU and EQ databases that is not on the EX database, accounting for the variation in the scores. My creditor has written that the information has been updated but TU and EQ don't seem to be in any hurry to update their files.) I do not have a mortgage. I have a PU BK7 from almost 8 yeras ago that TU is not showing, but EQ and EX are.

Here is my question. Would it be better, as far as increasing my score, to pay of the car and the scooter, or should I continue to make monthly payments on them? In other words, do you get more favorable scores by paying off debt or by showing consistentcy in making on-time monthly payments?

Any advice appreciated.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Pay off or let it ride

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a general question relating to credit scores. I currently have a car payment and a scooter payment,  as well as a very low student loan payment. I have several student loans that are currently in deferment while I attend school. I have three credit cards which I keep either paid off every month or very low balances. My scores are EQ 707, TU 707, and EX 765. (There is some erroneous account information still lingering on the TU and EQ databases that is not on the EX database, accounting for the variation in the scores. My creditor has written that the information has been updated but TU and EQ don't seem to be in any hurry to update their files.) I do not have a mortgage. I have a PU BK7 from almost 8 yeras ago that TU is not showing, but EQ and EX are.

Here is my question. Would it be better, as far as increasing my score, to pay of the car and the scooter, or should I continue to make monthly payments on them? In other words, do you get more favorable scores by paying off debt or by showing consistentcy in making on-time monthly payments?

Any advice appreciated.

Since they are both installment loans it does not have a very big affect on your credit scores. It may help a little if one was paid off since it brings down your total debt. But most installment loans do not see major score changes once the loans are paid off. 

With your revolving accounts (credit cards) try to only let one card report a very small balance (1%-9%) while the other cards report 0 balance. This seems to be what works best for most on these boards for best scoring possibilities.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 2 of 5
LTomBerry
Frequent Contributor

Letting it ride might get you a slight increase over time, but ask yourself this: If you have the $$ to pay it off now, you will save a buttload in interest payments by paying it off. Is it worth letting it ride and paying the bank lots of money for a very small increse in score? Saving money would be more important to me personally.

Starting Score: 690
Current Score: EQ 780 EX 814 TU 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@LTomBerry wrote:

Letting it ride might get you a slight increase over time, but ask yourself this: If you have the $$ to pay it off now, you will save a buttload in interest payments by paying it off. Is it worth letting it ride and paying the bank lots of money for a very small increse in score? Saving money would be more important to me personally.

Pretty much what I was thinking.  If you have the money pay it off and save yourself the money.  Any score increase will be minimal.  Unless you scores a very borderline and you are planning on applying for a mortgage where you are going to need every point you can get, pay it off.

Message 4 of 5
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Since you have a thin file I'd recommend that you keep 2 cards reporting 0 balances and the third at 4% or less. In my case going from 1% to 5% cost me 15 points but I don't have any baddies. You might see about 5 points though. The 9% "rule" doesn't seem to apply as much to thin files.

It really doesn't matter except at the point you app for new credit.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.