cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pay off small installment loan in full, or apply to larger balance?

tag
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Pay off small installment loan in full, or apply to larger balance?

I have $2,500 available to apply to one of my installment loans. I have one installment loan for $2,200 and one installment loan for $10,000. I have no credit card debt (carry a small balance on one card, without accruing interest each month for score purposes).

Is it better for me to remove one loan completely, or create a wider gap between the original balance and balance owed on the larger loan?

----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Pay off small installment loan in full, or apply to larger balance?

@avv7c0 wrote:

I have $2,500 available to apply to one of my installment loans. I have one installment loan for $2,200 and one installment loan for $10,000. I have no credit card debt (carry a small balance on one card, without accruing interest each month for score purposes).

Is it better for me to remove one loan completely, or create a wider gap between the original balance and balance owed on the larger loan?

I would probably completely pay off the smaller loan but I would first consider the APR's on both loans as part of my decision. What are the APR's?

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 8
avv7c0
Regular Contributor

Good observation. APR is same on both, however. 11.99%

----------------------------------------------------------
Fico Scores:
EQ - 811 (Feb '14)
TU - 829 (Mar '14)
EX - 814 (Mar '12) - Lender Pull
Message 3 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@avv7c0 wrote:

Good observation. APR is same on both, however. 11.99%

Then I would still pay off the smaller of the two and be rid of it forever. But that's just me. Others I'm sure will have different views.

From a BK years ago to:

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would pay off the smaller loan.

But that's just because I follow MVV around on the forums and agree with basically every thing he says. 

No, no.  JK.

I would pay off the smaller loan because it's not doing anything for your FICO to keep it open; and paying down the larger loan would have little to absolutely no impact (edging more toward the "no").  Installment balances just don't impact FICO much.  I've been tracking a few installment loans for DH and I, and I've yet to see a score increase during paydown.  YMMV.

I note also that FAKO sites will sometimes mention balances on your installments - but I have learned to ignore all FAKO advice.  In the land of FICO - the land that counts - paying down your larger installment is not highly likely to result in any FICO increases.

Also, paying off the smaller loan will impact your monthly payments - always a plus.

Congrats on being able to pay down those installments - even if you don't follow MVV's recommendation Smiley Wink to pay off the smaller of the two. 

Message 5 of 8
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

Since installment utilization has very, very little impact on scores -- and the interest rates are the same -- I suggest paying off the smaller loan.

The reason why is that your credit picture will actually be a little better because you'll have a lower debt to income ratio (since one of your payments will now be gone); however, this will not impact your Fico score because it does not take into account your income.

I also suggest you pay the exact same amount you were paying combined for the two loans on the remaining loan until you snowball your debt away.

Message 6 of 8
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@stan_the_man wrote:

Since installment utilization has very, very little impact on scores -- and the interest rates are the same -- I suggest paying off the smaller loan.

The reason why is that your credit picture will actually be a little better because you'll have a lower debt to income ratio (since one of your payments will now be gone); however, this will not impact your Fico score because it does not take into account your income.

I also suggest you pay the exact same amount you were paying combined for the two loans on the remaining loan until you snowball your debt away.

An excellent idea.

From a BK years ago to:

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@stan_the_man wrote:

An excellent idea.

+1

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.