Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payed off balance, credit score down 17points

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Payed off balance, credit score down 17points

hi all,

trying to understand why i payed off most of my balances on my cards bringing my utilization down from 55% to 18% and my experian score shot up but my equifax score went down 17 points. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Payed off balance, credit score down 17points

@Anonymous wrote:

hi all,

trying to understand why i payed off most of my balances on my cards bringing my utilization down from 55% to 18% and my experian score shot up but my equifax score went down 17 points. 

Are you getting scores from here?

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes, thats from my membership with myfico.com. It shows 4 alerts and then a 17 point drop. Next to each alert it shows how one of my account balances went down to 0 or nearly 0.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

yes, thats from my membership with myfico.com. It shows 4 alerts and then a 17 point drop. Next to each alert it shows how one of my account balances went down to 0 or nearly 0.

Thats the annoying thing about MyFICO - the score change probably was from something previous that did not generate an alert and score recalc. One of the known issues with MyFICO monitoring.

Message 4 of 11
Unfaithful
Contributor

+1 to what Norman said.

I got an alert Friday that I lost 17 points because of an inquiry. Turned out to be a increase in a balance that caused the 17 point drop, not the actual inquiry.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

The same thing happene to me. I payed my card down to 0 and got a 7 point drop and nothing else changed.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same here - Got an alert about a balance change and score dropped 41 points from 737 to 696.

No new inquiries, no new accounts, no closed accounts, no lates, no balance increases, no new negatives since I got the score of 737.

Only reported change was a reported balance drop from 300 to 0 on one of my CCs.

Actual changes that have not reported yet -

a balance drop on another card from 5200 to 600 (the 5200 balance was reported weeks before I got my score before it dropped, so it shouldn't be the cause of the drop since it was already on my report when I got my 737 score)

a balance drop from 297 to 208 on an installment loan (297 balance was reported before I got my 737 score, original loan 2k on a 2 year term, I'm about 10 months into the loan and almost paid off a year early)

paid off a medical collection that has a reported balance of 292 (medical collection was showing before I got the 737 score, and still is with no change in reporting)

Nothing on my report has changed in any way that I could fathom any sane method considering negative.  None of the non-reported changes are anything I could fathom being considered negative.  Honestly I kinda feel like the whole credit scoring methodology is rigged to screw people one way or another.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

No new inquiries, no new accounts, no closed accounts, no lates, no balance increases, no new negatives since I got the score of 737.

Did you pull a new report to verify that?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you pull a new report to verify that?

Yes - I pulled new reports through USAA credit monitoring since my monthly report had just become available.  Nothing new reported on any of the 3 bureaus except the balance drop to 0 on one of my CCs

Message 9 of 11
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

I'm having the same problem , dropping my utl and even got a 250.00 CL and I am loosing points.  A balance increase of 6.00 and my points go up 1, decrease balance by 3,000.00 and loose 5 points.  I am at 75% utl. These are my scores from here fico 3b.  Its just messed up! Nothing new at all has changed on my credit report.

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.