Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Down Debt-dropped credit score dramatically

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying Down Debt-dropped credit score dramatically

Hi, this is my first time posting and I apologize if the question is stupid or has already been asked.  I actually have tweo questions if you don't mind.

1)  I am trying to prepare to purchase a home so I was in the process of paying off the majority of my high interest credit cards to reduce my DTI.  My score dropped by 50 points, any idea why?

2)  Also, I have one credit card that I was late on by two days, they reported it to all the agencies as 30 days which dropped my score even more.  How can I dispute this at all?  I am right in the process of applying for a mortgage and now that can't happen.

Scores: Transunion was 749 now 708, Experian was 725 now 689 Equifax was 725 now 696.

Please Help!  Thank you!

Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying Down Debt-dropped credit score dramatically

Impossible to help you without knowing how much your balances were before paying and how much they were after.  So list those, account by account.

The 30D late is only marked as 30D late if you missed two due dates.  If you missed ONE due date, they can't legally report you as 30D late.  30D late means you missed a due date and then still didn't make that payment for 30 days.

On that account, list the dates of your last 3 payments.

Message 2 of 58
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Hi TryingForTheDream.  Welcome to the forums!

To expand on what ABCD2199 said, paying off ALL of your credit card balances can actually hurt your score.  Not using credit is as bad as using too much of it (but not as bad as using nearly all or all of it).  If you can list all of your cards, the credit lines, and the before and after balances that would be helpful.  Where are you getting your credit scores from, and which scores are they?  There are actual FICO scores used by lenders and so-called FAKO scores that can differ radically from actual FICO scores.

There may be other issues at play here besides the balances, though.  Have you recently applied for new credit (including the beginnings of the mortgage), or opened any new credit accounts?  Is the timing of the "late" payment different enough from the credit card paydown to not be the issue?

It is illegal for a creditor to report you as 30 days late if you made a payment prior to 30 days after the due date.  Some subprime lenders try to state that 30 days means 1-30 days, but it means 30-59 days.  I would contact the creditor to request them to report this correctly.  If that does not work, contacting the credit bureaus to dispute would be the next step, and ultimately the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Message 3 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK...

Best Buy-1500.00 Paid left balance of $50

Nordstrom-800.00 Paid Off

Ulta- 534.00 Paid Off

Victoria's Secret- 120.00 Paid Off

Target Red Card- 500.00 Paid $450.00

Fry's USBank- 1900.00 Paid 1400.00

BOA- 1425.60 Paid 1200.00

As far as the late payment, the initial statement showed a payment in June, I never got a bill but did receive a text notification in July, piad the total amount of $59 (annual fee) one day late.  By then they added a late fee (I was not aware).  This was on August bill, I guess.  I got a notification that I was late in September, by then they had added another late payment because I had not known about the August late payment, so I paid those fees one day after the due date.  4 days later they reported in to the agencies.  Mind you I never use these cards, which is why I had signed up for text alerts so I would know when the annual fees came due.

Does that help?

Message 4 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

K-in-Boston,

Thank you.  The scores that are dropping due to paying down debt range from 6 points to 36 points.  I listed them in an above reponse.  I called Capitol and they said they are starting a report and investigation that can take 30-90 days. I haven't applied for any new credit at all, not even a pre-qual for mortgage yet because I knew my DTI was  too high.  I don't understand how paying off debt, whicle still using others, hurts me so bacd when I can't qualify for a mortgage with a high DTI.  I thought I was doing the right thing, guess not.  Also, I always only use 10-20 % of my credit limits, if that helps.

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Hi TryingForTheDream.  Welcome to the forums!

To expand on what ABCD2199 said, paying off ALL of your credit card balances can actually hurt your score.  Not using credit is as bad as using too much of it (but not as bad as using nearly all or all of it).  If you can list all of your cards, the credit lines, and the before and after balances that would be helpful.  Where are you getting your credit scores from, and which scores are they?  There are actual FICO scores used by lenders and so-called FAKO scores that can differ radically from actual FICO scores.

There may be other issues at play here besides the balances, though.  Have you recently applied for new credit (including the beginnings of the mortgage), or opened any new credit accounts?  Is the timing of the "late" payment different enough from the credit card paydown to not be the issue?

It is illegal for a creditor to report you as 30 days late if you made a payment prior to 30 days after the due date.  Some subprime lenders try to state that 30 days means 1-30 days, but it means 30-59 days.  I would contact the creditor to request them to report this correctly.  If that does not work, contacting the credit bureaus to dispute would be the next step, and ultimately the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.

Message 5 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep nothing there would tank your score.

The only thing I can think of is that your 30D late actually popped up on the credit reports BEFORE the credit monitoring site actually showed you there was a late inflicted, but for whatever reason they actually were able to calculate a new FICO score because of the late.

The other thing I am thinking could have happened is that you paid down debt AFTER your statement date.

For example:  If you had a card with a $1500 limit but $0 balance but last month ran it up to $1500.  Then you paid the minimum before the due date of $50, let $1450 report at statement cut and then paid the $1450 off.  It reported a high utilization at statement cut even though you paid it off AFTER, so it won't report $0 until the next statement.

What balances are reporting on your credit reports?  $0s?  Or close to max?

Message 6 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The only thing I can think of is that your 30D late actually popped up on the credit reports BEFORE the credit monitoring site actually showed you there was a late inflicted, but for whatever reason they actually were able to calculate a new FICO score because of the late.

Oh and by the way, I get my scores straight from the FICO site.  Any idea how long that 1 late pament will effect me?  That is my one and only negative mark.

Message 7 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh and by the way, I get my scores straight from the FICO site.  Any idea how long that 1 late pament will effect me?  That is my one and only negative mark.

It is considered derogatory for the full 7 years reporting limit, but it hurts less after 2 years and then less and less up to when it falls off at 7 years.

Having a derogatory of 30D shouldn't rebucket you, but others may know better.

Applying for a mortgage with a recent 30D late may cause underwriting to ask a lot of questions.

Message 8 of 58
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It is considered derogatory for the full 7 years reporting limit, but it hurts less after 2 years and then less and less up to when it falls off at 7 years.

Having a derogatory of 30D shouldn't rebucket you, but others may know better.

Applying for a mortgage with a recent 30D late may cause underwriting to ask a lot of questions.

OK, I just saw an email where you had replied to my mortgage question but when I clicked the link this is what I got.  Any help?

Access Denied

CommunityUsers

Message 9 of 58
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

The other thing I am thinking could have happened is that you paid down debt AFTER your statement date.

For example:  If you had a card with a $1500 limit but $0 balance but last month ran it up to $1500.  Then you paid the minimum before the due date of $50, let $1450 report at statement cut and then paid the $1450 off.  It reported a high utilization at statement cut even though you paid it off AFTER, so it won't report $0 until the next statement.

What balances are reporting on your credit reports?  $0s?  Or close to max?

Going with this exactly.  Unless those are your only balances reporting to the credit bureaus and your total credit lines are above $200k, you're not being punished for excessively low utilization.  FICO scoring is based on risk - just as someone using a lot of their credit (raises hand) presents a higher risk than someone who is using just a little, the person who is essentially not using their credit (in that one snapshot of time on a credit report) is just as risky since they're not showing that they use that credit.  FICO scores are optimal when your reported overall balances are 1 to 8.9% of your total available credit (this is usually expressed as under 10%, but the pitfall is that 9.01% rounds up to 10%).  Again, unless you're reporting $2020 in the total balances you wrote above on over $200k in credit lines, the score loss would not be due to paying off the cards.

Message 10 of 58
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.