Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying Off Car Loan Lower FICO Score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying Off Car Loan Lower FICO Score?

My FICO score is borderline excellent, just above 760 and I'll be buying my first home in September/October 2012. Will paying off my car loan lower my FICO score?I'm worried because a slight decrease will lower my FICO from the 'Excellent' to 'Good' range.

My problem is that I probably need to pay off my car loan before I get a home mortgage loan because my car loan will make my Back-End Debt-To-Income ratio too high.

I've heard that paying off a car loan will lower a FICO score because it decreases the variety of credit instruments. If I have to pay the car loan off, when should I do it? Right after I get pre-qualified for a mortgage loan or right after?

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Paying Off Car Loan Lower FICO Score?

If DTI is an issue here, then DTI trumps FICO in your case.  You may loose some point but I don't think enough to make a difference the loan APR.  Ven if it did and you wanted to stay in the home forever, you could always refi or refi to a short loan later if you could afford to do so.  When I refied my first mortage, I took a FICO score hit to be at 0% util.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 36
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

My FICO score is borderline excellent, just above 760 and I'll be buying my first home in September/October 2012. Will paying off my car loan lower my FICO score?I'm worried because a slight decrease will lower my FICO from the 'Excellent' to 'Good' range.

My problem is that I probably need to pay off my car loan before I get a home mortgage loan because my car loan will make my Back-End Debt-To-Income ratio too high.

I've heard that paying off a car loan will lower a FICO score because it decreases the variety of credit instruments. If I have to pay the car loan off, when should I do it? Right after I get pre-qualified for a mortgage loan or right after?

I agree with Marty that DTI may be the more important issue ~ however installment debt utilization is a very minor part of FICO compared to revolving utilization so it shouldn't make much difference ( if any ) in your score.   Also, even as a closed loan it will still contribute positively towards your mix of credit.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

AlexDMV, if you want to wait a few days, I'll have a report of my own... The paid off account already reported to EX, just waiting for EQ so I can see the before and after. Or, MyFICO can just start showing EX scores Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 36
marty56
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

MyFICO can just start showing EX scores Smiley Happy

Dec 21, 2012. Marty gets an 849 EX FICO score from MyFICO.  Lost 1 point for being left behind.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks very much, that would be great to see the effect and I greatly appreciate the help. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, hang on Alex. The account updated on EX a week ago; it's still showing on EQ and TU... Any day now I hope, lest the AAoA bump might affect the results (from 5.3 to maybe 5.4 years; I don't expect that to have any real impact, but will technically be an additional change...)

Message 7 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, much to my $20-lighter wallet's chagrin, my FICO score went from 698 to

698. No change to score at all. I confirmed the $3600 balance went from $3600 to zero, and the account shows as closed. No change in score. I have one other open auto note at $14k, but it was still a ~20% drop in installment util. Oh well, at least we know Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 36
teenastie
Established Contributor

Alex,

If you have another type of installment loan (ie: student loan, Amex charge card, LOC) you scores may not be affected by paying off your auto loan. You only need 1 type of installment to meet the "credit mix" criteria. 

Message 9 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe closed installments still count towards your credit mix... Could be wrong.

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.