Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying a charge-off DECREASED my score?

tag
CBear
Established Member

Paying a charge-off DECREASED my score?

I have been making large payments to charge-off in an effort to improve my score. I made a payment of $1,000 last week - and my score (TUN) went up 25 pts. Yay! I made another payment this week of $500.00 - and the score decreased by 11! How can paying something down be construed according to TU as "making use of my revolving credit!" I don't have a card and the account is closed!

Do I keep paying down or not? The simlulator indicated a much nicer outcome than this!

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SoCalPrincess

Re: Paying a charge-off DECREASED my score?

Was the additional $500 payment the only change captured in that time?

I had a recurring $25 payment monthly on a low balance card, estimating that it would be completely paid off by the end of year.  Every month when the payment hit, my EX would go up 2-6 points.  Then last month when it hit, it dropped it 3 points.  That also made no sense to me, so I just assumed that it also captured something else which was the true reason for the drop, but the recognized activity and reported "Alert" captured the $25 payment and attributed it to that.  That's the only thing I could think of.

CURRENT FICO-8 - EQ 716 / TU 732 / EX 735

CURRENT FICO-9 - EQ 743 / TU 744 / EX 740

GOAL - EQ 760 / TU 760 / EX 760

FAKOS - EQ 774 / TU 770 / EX 764
Message 2 of 4
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CBear wrote:

I have been making large payments to charge-off in an effort to improve my score. I made a payment of $1,000 last week - and my score (TUN) went up 25 pts. Yay! I made another payment this week of $500.00 - and the score decreased by 11! How can paying something down be construed according to TU as "making use of my revolving credit!" I don't have a card and the account is closed!

Do I keep paying down or not? The simlulator indicated a much nicer outcome than this!

Thanks in advance.

Keep paying down.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 4
CatOfSpades
Frequent Contributor

Yes, definitely keep paying it down. You owe the money. Your score will improve in time. The credit scoring system is kind of whacked and flucuates from month to month. Things will be higher over time. 

♠Queen of Spades♠
Apple Card MC $10,000
BofA Cash Rewards VS $10,000
5/3 Cash/Back WEMC $10,000
Discover IT $7,500
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.