cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying down CC balances.....how much does it help?

tag
Siobhanmairead
Valued Member

Paying down CC balances.....how much does it help?

I have a question about how credit card balances work on your credit report.

If for instance, someone had nearly maxed out all of their CC's and then paid them all down under 30% utilization would their scores go up the same amount as if they paid them down slowly? Is it a progressive score increase or can the turn around really be overnight if for instance the CC's went from 90% utilization to 8%?

Also, If you have 5 CC's at 90% utilization but your overall utilization is 4% is the maxed out cards hurting your credit that much if your total util is very low?

Thanks

Starting Score: 600
Current Score: 663
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Paying down CC balances.....how much does it help?

it can be turned around once the new balances are updated with the CRAs.

if you have 5 CCs that are almost maxed out, it will affect your scores by quite a bit, even if overall util is low.

Also, I would be worrying more about FR from the lenders more than about the score, if I have 5 maxed out cards

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 9
Stralem
Established Contributor

Hi, new member.

For what it's worth, I paid down a Barclay's card from 90% util to <20% util, then called customer service to have them do an out-of-cycle update to my credit reports.

When I checked my scores two days layer, I found that my TransUnion FAKO had jumped 30 points.

I paid down two CapitalOne cards to 33% (down from 99%) and 9% (from 100%) util respectively soon after. I'm still waiting for CapitalOne to update my reports, but from what various score simulations have told me, I should see an even more dramatic jump.

But of course, YMMV.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 3 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 9
ktl72455
Valued Contributor

Also be advised that the CC company can drop your CL after you pay it down so you are barely ahead. Not always, but it happens. Just a FYI!

From MI.
12/4/12 TU 589 MyFico ~EQ 579 MyFico ~EX 577(Fako)

Myfico 8 scores
6/12/20 TU 803 ~ EQ 814~ Ex 784
My Wallet: Cap1 3,500K ~FH 2950~Credit One 1750~Credit one #2 1250~Orchard Bank 400 ~NFCU nRewards 18,000~NFCU Cash Rewards 18,500 ~Care Credit 12000~Discover 6000~Lowes 5450~ Amex 5400.00 ~ Harvest King 8000 ~ Langley~Penfed~Service CRU~red stone cru~
UTL 17%
Message 5 of 9
Settemio
Regular Contributor

I went from 85% util to under 5% and my scores went up 80 pts.

@Siobhanmairead wrote:

I have a question about how credit card balances work on your credit report.

If for instance, someone had nearly maxed out all of their CC's and then paid them all down under 30% utilization would their scores go up the same amount as if they paid them down slowly? Is it a progressive score increase or can the turn around really be overnight if for instance the CC's went from 90% utilization to 8%?

Also, If you have 5 CC's at 90% utilization but your overall utilization is 4% is the maxed out cards hurting your credit that much if your total util is very low?

Thanks

Message 6 of 9
knightlynews
Contributor

Hey Settemio, Was that one card you paid down or several to get that 80 pt increase?

Starting Score: 548
Current Score: EX686EQ682,TU???
Goal Score: 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 9
rajirog
New Visitor

80 points increase?

Back in Nov 2012 i had a revolving ratio of 51%. My FIco was 664

Last month I bit the bullet and paid off ALL my balances $11,000 worth.  My score only went up 16 points. 

My score now sits at 688. I had a couple of score increases since nov 2012 before i paid everything off. 

I did open a a few new credit card accounts in septermber last year, right after I purchased my home so i think the new credt is hurting me at the moment. 

I really want to break into the 700's, but i have nothing to pay down so i guess it's just a waiting game now?

Message 8 of 9
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@rajirog wrote:

80 points increase?

Back in Nov 2012 i had a revolving ratio of 51%. My FIco was 664

Last month I bit the bullet and paid off ALL my balances $11,000 worth.  My score only went up 16 points. 

My score now sits at 688. I had a couple of score increases since nov 2012 before i paid everything off. 

I did open a a few new credit card accounts in septermber last year, right after I purchased my home so i think the new credt is hurting me at the moment. 

I really want to break into the 700's, but i have nothing to pay down so i guess it's just a waiting game now?

You don't want all of your CC reporting a 0 balance.  FICO likes to see you have credit but use it wisely.

Do you have any negatives on your CR?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.