Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying down credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying down credit card

I'm a university student (just finished freshman year) who is heavily reliant on financial aid which means my income is seasonal. Every semester I get a 1500USD (approx) refund in excess financial aid (grants/subsidized loans). I have a 1000USD credit line that is currently maxed out because summer financial aid fell through.

My score is 644 according to myFico and I ran a simulation through transunion's truecredit.com and it shows that my score will rise from 644 to 780+ if I pay off the 1000USD over the course of 24 months. I know this takes into account both the increase in length of credit history as well as the decrease in credit utilizatio. 

My questions are:

a) does the simulation result seem reasonable or is it pulling my leg?

b) I read that I should keep my credit utilization around 35% -- which plan is better

Pay the card down to 350USD when my return comes in and hold the balance there by spending a little and paying a little every month

Pay off the entire balance when the return comes in

Pay approximately 45USD a mont hfor the next 24 months to get the balance down to zero

it doesnt matter

Also, I had applied for a best buy credit card back in january and was denied. It shows up as a hard pull on my report, how long does this sort of inquiry affect my score?

Thanks for any and all help!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying down credit card

Pay it off immediately. Charge something on the card every other month to show "recent use of credit"

Hard inquiries are counted for 12 months.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Paying down credit card

Are you serious? Hard inqueries only last 12months? WOOHOO that means I had a couple hard pulls almost a year ago, I think its been 11 months and it might impact my score? I am applying for a mortgage and I am going to pay off all my cc's and the pulls come off I should improve!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.