Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off Debt barely affected TU

tag
kal9988
Regular Contributor

Paying off Debt barely affected TU

My credit util was around 85%, but I finally paid down one card which lowered my util to 55%. EQ FICO jumped 19 points, but my TU went up only 5 points. Kinda lame. If I pay off the next 50%, will it really only go up 10 points?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Paying off Debt barely affected TU

You'll find that most of your points will return when you pay everything down below 20%, with most of the points coming from the <9% to 20% range.

ETA...I'm surprised you got that many points. Congrats!

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

% util is important, but more important is your payment history.

What derogs are in your credit report?

If your CR is derog-free in your payment history, and you get below 20% util, you will get much more than a 10-point increase in FICO score.

Message 3 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

% util is important, but more important is your payment history.

What derogs are in your credit report?

If your CR is derog-free in your payment history, and you get below 20% util, you will get much more than a 10-point increase in FICO score.

I agree with Robert. The cleaner your reports the bigger boost you'll get as you pay down utilization.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802
EQ - 7/06-663, 3/10-800
TU - 8/10-772
You can do the same thing with hard work

Message 4 of 7
marty56
Super Contributor

TU hates multiple cards that report a balance so you can see a better score boost there by reducing the number of cards that report a balance.  I lost 10 points on TU for a $21 balance on a 4100 CL.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 5 of 7
shortstack

Yes, I lost 15 points on TU with a $9 balance on a 2,500 CL

Starting Score at June 2010: 679
Current Score at August 2013: 783
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Yes, I lost 15 points on TU with a $9 balance on a 2,500 CL

Welcome to the forums.

I noticed you seem to be having some trouble posting. It is possible to edit your own post if you have posted an incomplete message. To edit your post, go to the post. To the right you'll see "Options." Click on "Options" and select "Edit Message" from the drop-down menu. If you have accidentally posted a duplicate message, you can use the “Report Abuse to a Moderator” link to asking the moderation team to remove one for you. To find this link, go to the duplicate post, click on "Options," then select "Report Abuse to a Moderator" from the drop-down menu. If you need any help with anything, let me know.

--marinevietvet, myfico moderator

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.