Did you mean: 

Paying off cc's works!

tag
ronstar7
Established Contributor

Re: Paying off cc's works!

@Anonymous wrote:

Way to go ronstar7!

It is a very good feeling when you move up thru the ranks with  your FICO credit scores.  That is awesome.  I remember myself moving up to fair and good.  Although only fair and good, I felt GREAT as I am sure that you feel ;-)

Keep up the good work, and try your darndest to pay your creditors on time and they will reward you with improvements in your scores.

*Kudos*

(-:

Thank you! Yes I am very pleased and pray the credit gods keep showing love lol

Starting scores after BK (Filed 4/18/24) EQ , TU , EX

Current Scores EQ TU EX Goal 700+ across
UTL
Last Inq:
Message 11 of 30
ronstar7
Established Contributor

@nupey10 wrote:

CONGRATS!!!

Its a great feeling I know.  I got my first yellow about 9 months ago WHEW I know what you are feeling!!!!

Hope your other 2 get there soon.

Thank you so much, you and me both!

UTL
Last Inq:
Message 12 of 30
krielly
Established Contributor

With that Amex Delta at 50% utilization, if you can pay that off, you should see another considerable jump.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pay that Delta down to 0 and I bet you jump over the 700 mark on EQ.

Smiley Very Happy

Congrats on your shiny new scores and lack of debt!

Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

ronstar7,

After looking over your list of credit cards along with their limits and balances, I've reconsidered my original thought.  I don't see any possible way that paying down $600-$700 in CC debt with your total limits of around $50k (I didn't add them up, just quickly looking over them) would result in a 55 point gain.  If you only had two CCs with a $1000 limit on each and you paid down $700 of $2000 in overall credit than sure... but paying down $700 on $50k is a drop of less than 3% in aggregate utilization.  At most this can cross one threshold. 

Again, just looking at the rough numbers it seems your total CC debt went from about 1600/~50k to about 900/~50k which means your aggregate utilization dropped from about 3% to about 2% by making that $700 payment or so on Capital One.  Honestly, I wouldn't expect that aggregate utilization change to increase your score at all.  Now, your CO card that you made the payment on was near maxed out, which causes a slight score ding... but individual credit lines are far less impactful to score than aggregate utilization which in your case was ideal both before and after making your payment. 

All I'm saying here is that after additional consideration of all your credit lines, I think there must be something else at play here that caused your 55 point increase, as taking down a balance on a single trade line when you have a ton of trade lines isn't going to increase a score significantly if it only results in a aggregate utilization change of 1-2%, and that 1-2% isn't even crossing a threshold.

Message 15 of 30
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@ronstar7 wrote:

Hi all,

I am so excited!!

My experian rose 55 points today (My Fico) beause I paid off a $664 balance off on Cap One. I have never been this high. I know others are way higher but I am still thrilled!!! Back in April of last year I paid all cc off and my score only went up a little. But today with one card it goes up by 55. Does that sound right or could it have a combintation that made it rise? Accoring to my fico that was the only reason listed.

Edit: today Equifax follwed with its own 55 point bump!! Im FINALLY in the yellow lol!! now just waiting on transunion Smiley Happy

Fico.pdf

1. Congratulations

2. The contents of the alert and the score change referenced in the alert are not necessarily causally related. Most likely there are other factors which also contributed to the score increase.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 16 of 30
ronstar7
Established Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@ronstar7 wrote:

Hi all,

I am so excited!!

My experian rose 55 points today (My Fico) beause I paid off a $664 balance off on Cap One. I have never been this high. I know others are way higher but I am still thrilled!!! Back in April of last year I paid all cc off and my score only went up a little. But today with one card it goes up by 55. Does that sound right or could it have a combintation that made it rise? Accoring to my fico that was the only reason listed.

Edit: today Equifax follwed with its own 55 point bump!! Im FINALLY in the yellow lol!! now just waiting on transunion Smiley Happy

Fico.pdf

1. Congratulations

2. The contents of the alert and the score change referenced in the alert are not necessarily causally related. Most likely there are other factors which also contributed to the score increase.

Thank you!

Thats what I thought too but it didnt list anything else as the reason unless My Fico just isnt aware yet. It only showed "your balance has changed. Its was at 664 and I paid it off but then cap one tacked on some bs interest that wound up getting reported which left the balance looking as if it were $6 when it should have been 0. Idk I carried a balance on this card for a long time so maybe that had someting to do with. To be honest I dont really care lol Im just happy it went up Smiley Happy

UTL
Last Inq:
Message 17 of 30
ronstar7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

ronstar7,

After looking over your list of credit cards along with their limits and balances, I've reconsidered my original thought.  I don't see any possible way that paying down $600-$700 in CC debt with your total limits of around $50k (I didn't add them up, just quickly looking over them) would result in a 55 point gain.  If you only had two CCs with a $1000 limit on each and you paid down $700 of $2000 in overall credit than sure... but paying down $700 on $50k is a drop of less than 3% in aggregate utilization.  At most this can cross one threshold. 

Again, just looking at the rough numbers it seems your total CC debt went from about 1600/~50k to about 900/~50k which means your aggregate utilization dropped from about 3% to about 2% by making that $700 payment or so on Capital One.  Honestly, I wouldn't expect that aggregate utilization change to increase your score at all.  Now, your CO card that you made the payment on was near maxed out, which causes a slight score ding... but individual credit lines are far less impactful to score than aggregate utilization which in your case was ideal both before and after making your payment. 

All I'm saying here is that after additional consideration of all your credit lines, I think there must be something else at play here that caused your 55 point increase, as taking down a balance on a single trade line when you have a ton of trade lines isn't going to increase a score significantly if it only results in a aggregate utilization change of 1-2%, and that 1-2% isn't even crossing a threshold.

I get what ur saying, for now thats all I know as the reason and Im happy with that. And yes Im at 53,650 with 3% utl. I ahve been playing the "credit game" for a min now so maybe its fianlly paying off.

UTL
Last Inq:
Message 18 of 30
ronstar7
Established Contributor

@krielly wrote:

With that Amex Delta at 50% utilization, if you can pay that off, you should see another considerable jump.

Agreed paying it today!

UTL
Last Inq:
Message 19 of 30
ronstar7
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Pay that Delta down to 0 and I bet you jump over the 700 mark on EQ.

Smiley Very Happy

Congrats on your shiny new scores and lack of debt!

Thank you! Yeah Im paying it off today, just was letting it chill there since i know what date to pay to report a 0 balance, My amex never reports a balance so it all good. I always pif before statement. I typically do that will all my cc unless I really really cant which is far and few. It killed me to leave that $27 balance on Macys lol but I just got that increase to 5000 last week so I was afraid that they are like Comenity and wont report unless there is a balance. So statement finally cut and I paid this morning Smiley Happy

UTL
Last Inq:
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.