cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off debt and credit score is going down...

tag
FN
Established Member

Paying off debt and credit score is going down...

Over the past year or so I've been able to pay off a lot of debt.  I've gone from a dozen loan accounts with balances to just two.  Some things (like student loans and 2nd mortgage) the accounts close when you pay them off and I notice that the FICO score goes down (**bleep**?).  Other accounts like credit cards I can keep open but just don't use.  But I noticed for example just today paid off one credit card (which is still open with a $30K limit) and the FICO score dropped 25 points.  

I don't really care because I have no plans for any additional debt in the foreseeable future, but I'm curious if there is some trick to avoid this...

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Paying off debt and credit score is going down...

How much of your debt was in term loans, student loans, and "non Credit Card" debts?

When you paid off the latest $30k card, was any other credit card reporting a balance?

As of today, which debts are still reporting any balance (on the last statement) and what is the credit line associated with those items?

Which CC are now reporting zeros and what is the credit limit for each of those ?

If all credit cards are reporting $0 balances, then that is a situation that FICO doesn't seem to like. Many report seeing a score drop when all their revolving credit reports as zero balance. If one card reports something, then those situations usually see a score improvement.

Are you getting any new credit, any new card applications in the last year?

Lastly, where are you getting your FICO scores, and what are those scores now?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.