cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying off my car loan ruined my credit. Score dropped 70+ points.

tag
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

Re: Paying off my car loan ruined my credit. Score dropped 70+ points.

@guiness56 wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

I've read similar stories in multiple places. I've posted here once how I'm purposely paying off a very small loan (<2k) slowly because I do not wish my score to drop and people started going crazy about how much wrong information is in this forum and how dumb it is to think the score should drop if loan is paid off.

To those people who swear that the score WILL NOT drop, have you guys actually paid off a loan before and seen your own scores unchanged or go up or are you guys just basing your "opinions" on what you "think" you know about FICO scores because I've seen a lot of people say their score dropped after a loan payoff but haven't seen anyone say the other way around. I'm about to payoff my small loan listening to your "advice" and I don't want to be another victim of misinformation.

I have seen some with drops, some increases, and some no score changes at all.  As with any FICO situation, anything is possible.

I don't think anyone would swear the score will not drop, no one knows for absolute sure.  Because an installment counts little toward your score in the first place, there should be little impact, one way or the other.    Everyones profile is different and is affected differently by different scenarios. 

IMO, it isn't misinformation, it is what happened to them and how an installment is scored in the first place.

Personally, I have paid off several installments and my score did not change at all.

Thanks for the reply. However, someone definitely has expressed anger on this forum saying that paying off a loan will not drop one's score. I don't know if that person was talking from personal experience but it certainly didn't sound like it.

I have seen 70+ drops but not 70+ gains for paying off a loan. Have you?

According to MyFICO, a mix of credit accounts for 10% of the score. That is 55 points on a 300-850 scale.

[10%+] Internet, Cable, Cell phone
[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 11 of 93
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@kkapdolee wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

I've read similar stories in multiple places. I've posted here once how I'm purposely paying off a very small loan (<2k) slowly because I do not wish my score to drop and people started going crazy about how much wrong information is in this forum and how dumb it is to think the score should drop if loan is paid off.

To those people who swear that the score WILL NOT drop, have you guys actually paid off a loan before and seen your own scores unchanged or go up or are you guys just basing your "opinions" on what you "think" you know about FICO scores because I've seen a lot of people say their score dropped after a loan payoff but haven't seen anyone say the other way around. I'm about to payoff my small loan listening to your "advice" and I don't want to be another victim of misinformation.

I have seen some with drops, some increases, and some no score changes at all.  As with any FICO situation, anything is possible.

I don't think anyone would swear the score will not drop, no one knows for absolute sure.  Because an installment counts little toward your score in the first place, there should be little impact, one way or the other.    Everyones profile is different and is affected differently by different scenarios. 

IMO, it isn't misinformation, it is what happened to them and how an installment is scored in the first place.

Personally, I have paid off several installments and my score did not change at all.

Thanks for the reply. However, someone definitely has expressed anger on this forum saying that paying off a loan will not drop one's score. I don't know if that person was talking from personal experience but it certainly didn't sound like it.

According to MyFICO, a mix of credit accounts for 10% of the score. That is 55 points on a 300-850 scale.

I have never personally seen a 70 point drop for paying off a loan.  IME that is way too excessive.  As I said, my score stayed the same and I have paid of probably 10 - 15.

Even a closed installment is considered in the mix of credit.

Message 12 of 93
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

I have never personally seen a 70 point drop for paying off a loan.  IME that is way too excessive.  As I said, my score stayed the same and I have paid of probably 10 - 15.

Ok. I believe you. I haven't really seen 70 point drops in person either, just what people say here.

I am paying off one of my loans within the next 4 months. I will be monitoring my FICO 04 Classic score (EQ from DCU) and FICO 08 Classic score (TU from Walmart). I will let you know how that affects my score.

[5%] Gas, Grocery, Amazon, Airline tickets, Drug Stores, Dept. Stores, Target, MyHabit
[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 13 of 93
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@kkapdolee wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

@kkapdolee wrote:

Ok. I believe you. I haven't really seen 70 point drops in person either, just what people say here.

I am paying off one of my loans within the next 4 months. I will be monitoring my FICO 04 Classic score (EQ from DCU) and FICO 08 Classic score (TU from Walmart). I will let you know how that affects my score.

I am curious so please do let me know.

Message 14 of 93
Kratos-TM
Frequent Contributor

@kkapdolee wrote:

@Kratos-TM wrote:

I had 7 installments reporting a year ago. Everytime I paid one off, I gained 3 points. Now I'm down to 2 installments. I know for a fact that if I pay them off, the opposite will occur and I'd lose points. It all boils down to having that right number that matches your credit profile. Nothing more, nothing less....

How do you know "for a fact" that your score will go down?

Does the 3 point gain each time apply to the three FICO scores in your signature and each of them gained precisely 3 points?

This FICO thing is so confusing...

I just do. I know none of us have any answers for that complex crazy algorythm, so saying "for a fact" is stretched. But I just know.

And yes those 3 points increments apply to my 3 scores and each gained 3 points. But this is definitely a YMMV situation.

Myfico scores.....
EX... 805 (11-10-13)
EQ... 810 (12-02-13)
TU... 810 (12-02-13)
Message 15 of 93
bradlin
Established Member

Let's face it, this has happened to many of us. My score dropped whenI paid off my car loan about 30 points. 

A blogger writes about how his score was highest when he was barely making ends meet and now that he can afford to easily pay off his home in 5 years his score is lower. He did some "stupid" things like close a $20k credit line etc. 

People like us who follow this nonsense know it was a "stupid" thing to do. But really what does this number tell us about anybody's ability to repay if the score goes down when you pay off lines and cancel lines you don't need? What is this score really trying to predict? 

A "credit expert" says that it does not predict the ability to pay but rather the "willingness" to pay. That sounds about right. The willingness to pay every extra dollar to the banks and make them have bigger profits. It really is a profitability score. And we sit here figuring out how to game it the best we can. Does everyone need to learn this game to have good credit? Some thngs go completely against the common sense principles of sound financial management. 

http://bucks.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/24/are-credit-scores-cow-dung/

Message 16 of 93

I just refinanced.  This happened to me as well.  Not a 70 point decrease, mind you, but mine did go down 16 points.  I refinanced so I could understand a ding from my credit union running my credit in order to do the refinance, but 16 points just seems crazy to me.  

Message 17 of 93
kkapdolee
Frequent Contributor

hmm.. rethinking paying off my small loan now..

It's small enough that I could pay off right this minute if I wanted too..

[3%] Restaurants
[2%] Everything Else
Message 18 of 93
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

I have three student loans in deferment until Jan 2015. The balances are $0.01, $0.02, and $3,500. The $3,500 one is subsidized, and the other two were unsubsidized. I paid them down to basically nothing but left them open in order to show multiple installment accounts for a little while longer, etc. They are my only open installment loans right now, and I don't expect to add any others any time soon. I am also curious what paying them all off will do to my score (have been paying them down in chunks and looking for a score change for a few months - check the GC threads), and will probably pay them all off in the spring/summer. When I do, I will be sure to create a thread showing any changes.

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 19 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

My score droppped 10 points for paying off my car loan of 9G. I refinanced to pay for a boat though, waiting to see what the new loan does.

Message 20 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.