New Visitor
DebbyW

Paying old charge-offs: good or bad?

My 23 year old son would like to begin repairing his badly damaged credit.  He has several charge-offs on his credit reports that are 2 - 4 years old.  We understand they will remain for 7 years.  What we don't know is if paying them now would help at all, or would it even hurt by restarting the 7 year clock.  Any advice?
Senior Contributor
Sylviatob

Re: Paying old charge-offs: good or bad?

Hi Debby, and welcome to the forum! There's a wealth of information here to help you and your son on your credit journey, and along the way get credit healthy.

Can you share the creditor(s) who did the charge offs, the dates they were charged off and the amounts? That would help a lot, as those 3 things will help determine the best course of action.

Also are ANY of the charge offs in collections? This is critical information needed on how to proceed.

I recommend not doing anything until you have a firm idea on how you want to proceed. Credit is an odd beast, and one must take carefully planned, deliberate steps to repair damaged credit.

And I want you to know you are not alone! Many of us have gone through what your son has(and you too Mom!) and have come out of the credit nightmare, with flying colors.
"Never ever, ever be late. Never" (FUTR)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+