cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please Help - Fico Score Dropped after initiating on-line dispute.

tag
ILuvRoses

Please Help - Fico Score Dropped after initiating on-line dispute.

I was wondering if someone could help.  My fico score dropped almost 30 points yesterday after initiating an on-line dispute.  Nothing else changed.  Why is that?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Please Help - Fico Score Dropped after initiating on-line dispute.

Was the alert from ScoreWatch or another service? What was disputed...specifically, what kind of account was disputed?

Message 2 of 6
ILuvRoses

ame Re: Please Help - Fico Score Dropped after initiating on-line dispute.

Thank you for replying. The alert came from ScoreWatch.  The dispute was from citifinancial from furniture I bought a few years back.  I actually tried calling them and they said that they didn't have any records past two years ago.  All they show is when I paid it off.  The lates were from three years ago.  They told me to dispute with credit bureau.  The only thing that changed was the status it now says "consumer disputes - reinvestigation in progress."  Absolutely nothing else changed in my credit file.  I'm so upset.

Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: ame Re: Please Help - Fico Score Dropped after initiating on-line dispute.

I'd guess that something else happened on your EQ report, like an added account or increased utilization. SW will give score alerts from time to time and we all have the tendency to assume that the only account impacted (assuming this was the only account disputed) is the cause of the score change. Unfortunately, that's not always the case. For example, I once got a SW alert that my FICO score increased 20 points. Why it said? Because I added an inquiry. Now adding inquiries won't cause score increases. There was a collection that fell off, that SW won't pick up on, that caused my score to improve.

There are a couple of ways your score could have been impacted by this TL alone. One is if the status updated to a newer date and if Citifinancial added some lates. You'd have to pull your reports from somewhere to see how it now reports to EQ. Another way is if this Citifinancial TL reported as a revolving, though I don't think that's the case here.

Absent the two ideas above, you may want to pull EQ from somewhere just to see if anything was added or if anything is missing. Check utilization too which is the most common culprit for score changes.

Message 4 of 6
ILuvRoses

.Re: ame Re: Please Help - Fico Score Dropped after initiating on-line dispute.

Thank you again for replying so quickly.  I just pulled my equifax credit report.  Absolutely nothing changed besides the comment under citifinancial stating that the dispute is under investigation.  They haven't completed the investigation yet.  Everything on all of my accounts are exactly the same.  I did make a phone call to myfico and the customer service rep said that it is possible for your score to go down when you initiate a dispute because they pull that account from the scoring system (not from your report) while it is under investigation.  If this is the case, even if the dispute comes back as the exact same info from before, will my score go back to where it was before? 

Message 5 of 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: .Re: ame Re: Please Help - Fico Score Dropped after initiating on-line dispute.

The account be in dispute is the most likely cause of the score decrease. When an account is in dispute it remains almost nuetral in the FICO score calculation. Once the dispute is removed then the acount will be fully included in the score calculation.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.