Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please give me some advice!!!!

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Please give me some advice!!!!

@Kaylabird12 wrote:
Alright thank you for your information it's very helpful I think we're going to go ahead and get a secured card. Our LO said that we needed todo us getting our TU up . I is there a specific secured card to get that would directly raise the TU score?

Any that reports though I'd go shopping off the list here: if your'e looking for style points go with Bank of America, but SDFCU as mentioned earlier doesn't do a credit check (inquiries typically hurt your score) at all so won't impact your scores further whereas virtualy everyone else will.  Whoever you have your checking or savings account through is another decent option.

        
Message 11 of 16
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

I should start off by saying I am NOT an expert in any way, shape or form. That being said, I have an idea that might help - Open Sky offers a secured card with no credit check that reports to all three bureaus as non-secured. I ordered one myself for basically the same reason - I didn't want the inquiry or the hit to my credit or the chance of being denied - I want upward movement in my scores. I should also say that they're kind of slow about getting the card out. you might have to wait three weeks or so to get it in the mail unless you want to fork over fifty bucks or so for expedited delivery, in which case you'll still probably have to wait two weeks.

There are other secured cards out there, and some really good ones. USAA has two very good ones if either of you have a military connection- I have both. I understand Navy Federal does as well, SDFCU, Wells Fargo, Capital One. Any of those should do the trick. The reason I brought up Open Sky was because they're the only ones I know of that do not run a credit pull. 

April 1 2014 EQ-555 TU-545 EX- 545
April 29 2014 EQ -714 TU-579 EX- 698
May 1 2014 EQ 721, TU 707, EX 698
All tracked with USAA credit monitoring via Expedia
FICO Score June 10 2014 EQ 719
Message 12 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@NYSuperdoodle wrote:

I should start off by saying I am NOT an expert in any way, shape or form. That being said, I have an idea that might help - Open Sky offers a secured card with no credit check that reports to all three bureaus as non-secured. I ordered one myself for basically the same reason - I didn't want the inquiry or the hit to my credit or the chance of being denied - I want upward movement in my scores. I should also say that they're kind of slow about getting the card out. you might have to wait three weeks or so to get it in the mail unless you want to fork over fifty bucks or so for expedited delivery, in which case you'll still probably have to wait two weeks.

There are other secured cards out there, and some really good ones. USAA has two very good ones if either of you have a military connection- I have both. I understand Navy Federal does as well, SDFCU, Wells Fargo, Capital One. Any of those should do the trick. The reason I brought up Open Sky was because they're the only ones I know of that do not run a credit pull. 

SDFCU doesn't do a credit pull either for their secured card, nor their membership application (well a soft pull which is w/e).  It is a substantially better card than OpenSky in the short term and has a decent CU relationship as well, hence recommending SDFCU over OpenSky... if it didn't exist as an option, you're absolutely right OpenSky would be the right solution for what the OP needs.

        
Message 13 of 16
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

Now I know of two! SDFCU just made my to-do list to add another revolving credit trade line. I'll get on that tomorrow. Thanks for that info. 

I understand that you can join SDFCU by joining a consumer group of some sort?

Message 14 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@NYSuperdoodle wrote:

Now I know of two! SDFCU just made my to-do list to add another revolving credit trade line. I'll get on that tomorrow. Thanks for that info. 

I understand that you can join SDFCU by joining a consumer group of some sort?

Yeah it was one of the charitable organizations but I forget which one; was either a $20 or $25 fee to do that IIRC, well worth it in my estimation as it's probably the second best secured card out there and if you just need a tradeline to have a tradeline, it's really hard to beat SDFCU unless you can't swing the $25 and the $250 minimum deposit.  So much better than the typical shopping trick dead tradeline in my estimation.

        
Message 15 of 16
NYSuperdoodle
New Contributor

I just checked - it's the American Consumer Council. $5 to join for the year. $15 lifetime. Just did it. Can't beat that. Hopefully with four secured CC's (USAA Amex $750, USAA MC $500, Open Sky Visa $300 and SDFCU Visa $500) and a LOC from my CU here on Long Island ($500) I can build up pretty fast the revolving credit history that the "real" CC issuers seem seem so hung up about me lacking. 

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.