cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please help me Understand..Newbie here..

tag
kahmyah
Valued Member

Please help me Understand..Newbie here..

This is a long loaded question, so please bare with me.  Also, I would like to thank you all in advance for any info that you can provide to me.  

History:

I recently pulled my credit scores..  One set of scores I received from the xperian site had me at 658 EX, 637 EQ, and 640 on TR.  I also pulled my scores from another site and I received a 644-TR, 634-EX, and 629 EQ.  So imagine my confusion as it appears my scores are all over the place.  Which ones do I go with?  I don't know if these scores are considered good, bad, poor, or forgetaboutit your a loser.   At this time, I only have 3 open credit cards, which I try and pay off in full every month.  Well since the holidays have come around, that may take a little bit longer, no more than 3 months max I hope.  I only have 6 open account total I believe.  I managed to get  mortgage and bought a new home which I will not bore you but I cried literally because I didn't think anyone would give me a mortgage because of my prior credit history..  Outside of my mortgage, I have no loans of any kind , car or otherwise.  I did have some issues on my credit report that I thought would come off after 7 years, but it appears they are  still on my credit report.

My questions are...

One what is a good score range to be in..Do you add up all the scores together to get a composite this is your type score.

What is a good number to have for debt to income ratio and does that factor in scoring.No one ever ask you your income in your credit scoring I thought or see.

Are there another set of numbers that are reported outside of these that I should be looking at and if so how or where do I get those

Please help..  Thank you very much in advance..

K

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Please help me Understand..Newbie here..

@kahmyah wrote:

This is a long loaded question, so please bare with me.  Also, I would like to thank you all in advance for any info that you can provide to me.  

History:

I recently pulled my credit scores..  One set of scores I received from the xperian site had me at 658 EX, 637 EQ, and 640 on TR.  I also pulled my scores from another site and I received a 644-TR, 634-EX, and 629 EQ.  So imagine my confusion as it appears my scores are all over the place.  Which ones do I go with?  I don't know if these scores are considered good, bad, poor, or forgetaboutit your a loser.   At this time, I only have 3 open credit cards, which I try and pay off in full every month.  Well since the holidays have come around, that may take a little bit longer, no more than 3 months max I hope.  I only have 6 open account total I believe.  I managed to get  mortgage and bought a new home which I will not bore you but I cried literally because I didn't think anyone would give me a mortgage because of my prior credit history..  Outside of my mortgage, I have no loans of any kind , car or otherwise.  I did have some issues on my credit report that I thought would come off after 7 years, but it appears they are  still on my credit report.

My questions are...

One what is a good score range to be in..Do you add up all the scores together to get a composite this is your type score.

What is a good number to have for debt to income ratio and does that factor in scoring.No one ever ask you your income in your credit scoring I thought or see.

Are there another set of numbers that are reported outside of these that I should be looking at and if so how or where do I get those

K

All of the scores you have there are what's called FAKO scores. They are useless. Your FICO score is what you need to know as creditors will look at this score almost always. Very few lenders use vantagescore. I would pull your EQ/TU scores from this site, you cannot pull EX as they do not work with FICO anymore since 09 (Only a CU in PA will give you a EX FICO).

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@kahmyah wrote:

History:

My questions are...

Only on a mortgage would they take all of your scores and use thaverage for a decision. A good score range is 660-720. 720+is pretty much excellent credit.

Try to keep it under 50% but that may be hard with a new car loan or installment loan reporting.

Yes, on this website. You can pull your FICO EQ/TU scores and reports here.

K

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Also please provide us a snapshot of your credit profile

-Number of CC's, installment loans

-How long they have been open

-Any Baddies??

- INQ's

We can help give you a good outlook on what to do in the future!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kahmyah wrote:

History:

My questions are...

K

The scores you pulled from EX site are Fako score's, pay 0 attention to them and so are the other scores you pulled, if you want to know your REAL FICO scores you can pull your EQ and TU FICO scores and reports here.

And no, you don't combine your scores, each score is individual to each report, when you apply for credit, the lender will usually pull one report and base your creditworthiness off of that report and FICO score, other lenders will pull 1, 2 or all 3 reports and base your creditworthiness off of all your reports and scores.

Lenders do not base your creditworthiness from just your scores, most of what they are looking at is your reports, payment history, AAoA's, util, and many other factors that are on your reports.

IMO, a decent range to be in scorewise is at the very least 660 and above (that is not great credit) but is usually good enough for a Mortgage, some members here have had success getting decent CC's with FICO's in the 660 range, but 700 and above is really a better place to be. What's considered Excellent credit is 760 and above.

As far as debt to income, my CU will not give you a loan or a  mortgage if your debt to income is above 40% IIRC. Your debt to income is not factored into your FICO scores, but your revolving debt to avail credit is. (that's called utilization) and the best is 1-9% util.

If you want to get your scores to their highest you would need to have all of your CC's reporting a 0 balance, with the exception of one of them, FICO likes to see one CC reporting a small balance of 1-9% of it's CL, and the rest paid to 0. This is what we call "Maxing" your scores.

I hope any of what I said makes sense to you.

Hopefully a MyFico Expert will chime in with an opinion of their own, correcting me if I gave you any inaccurate info.

Wishing you the Very Best.

Message 5 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kahmyah wrote:

History:

My questions are...

K

The scores you pulled from EX site are Fako score's, pay 0 attention to them and so are the other scores you pulled, if you want to know your REAL FICO scores you can pull your EQ and TU FICO scores and reports here.

And no, you don't combine your scores, each score is individual to each report, when you apply for credit, the lender will usually pull one report and base your creditworthiness off of that report and FICO score, other lenders will pull 1, 2 or all 3 reports and base your creditworthiness off of all your reports and scores.

Lenders do not base your creditworthiness from just your scores, most of what they are looking at is your reports, payment history, AAoA's, util, and many other factors that are on your reports.

IMO, a decent range to be in scorewise is at the very least 660 and above (that is not great credit) but is usually good enough for a Mortgage, some members here have had success getting decent CC's with FICO's in the 660 range, but 700 and above is really a better place to be. What's considered Excellent credit is 760 and above.

As far as debt to income, my CU will not give you a loan or a  mortgage if your debt to income is above 40% IIRC. Your debt to income is not factored into your FICO scores, but your revolving debt to avail credit is. (that's called utilization) and the best is 1-9% util.

If you want to get your scores to their highest you would need to have all of your CC's reporting a 0 balance, with the exception of one of them, FICO likes to see one CC reporting a small balance of 1-9% of it's CL, and the rest paid to 0. This is what we call "Maxing" your scores.

I hope any of what I said makes sense to you.

Hopefully a MyFico Expert will chime in with an opinion of their own, correcting me if I gave you any inaccurate info.

Wishing you the Very Best.

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just one other thing I forgot to mention in my first reply......

When apping for a Mortgage most lenders will pull all three of your reports and they will normally go with the "middle" score and base their rates etc.... from that report and score.

Also just an FYI, when you pull your scores here at MyFico and say you have a 700 EQ FICO, now you go to a car dealership, and they run your credit, they most likely will have a different score because they will run your score and report thru their own scoring model coming up with what's called an "Auto Enhanced FICO"  and the same goes for some CCC's, such as AmEx for example, they will pull your EX FICO score and report and then run that thru AmEx's own internal scoring model, again possibly coming up with a different score you got here, and some mortgage lenders will do the same coming up with a "Mortgage Enhanced FICO"

I just wanted to add this as well, in hopes it will help you in understanding some aspects of how lenders evaluate your creditworthiness.

Message 7 of 9
kahmyah
Valued Member

ok, i did a little research and i am getting even more depressed after discovering somethings..geez..

Ok..as far as credit card accounts go..i have 3 open cards at this moment with balances..all are current andup to date..so thats some good news..i was late 1 time in 4 years since they were open (2008) in that 30 day window i suppose..

My mortgage is reported on their is current that i can see..i was late only 1 time by one day yet it was reproted..1 time in 3-4 years period..

I just discovered throught this site that i have one item in collection..did not know that until now..i will take care of that on monday..it was paid off yet it was still reported..

No inq's, no judgments or anything..

im still doing some research on this..

my scores form this site are 618 TU and 639 for EQ..but eq is not showing the collection item..this is really sad..i thought i waas doing ok..i pay off my debt on tiem every month, no car loans or anything of such and i have these two things to show it..gosh..

Message 8 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Mustang's explanation of credit scores is right on point, and very comprehensive. 

I think that you have finally hit the root cause of your FICO score woes.  The collection.  Depending upon its age, it is probably dinging you for 20-40 pts or more.

Paying a collection does not remove it from your CR or from scoring, and it will remain, should you not obtain earlier deletion, until 7 years plus 180 days from the date of first deliquency on the OC account that led up to the collection.  Do you know the DOFD on the OC account?

Getting the collection deleted earlier will most likley push you up into the high 600's, but earier deletion is solely at the discretion of the debt collector.

I would send the debt collector a good-will request for deletion.  And keep following up if you receive denials.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.