Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Point Raising Strategies

tag
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Point Raising Strategies

Hi Tower. Unfortunately the simulator needs better language. What it means is pay it down and keep it down and in about 24 months your score should be thus and such. FICO has no historical utilization memory. So, pay down as quickly as possible and begin to reap the rewards. Allow 1-9% to report then pay off by the due date.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Point Raising Strategies

Thanks Byrdman.  That makes sense.

I guess I can only hope my GW letters work on my 3 lates. 

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Multiple account closing

Its me again.

Just to recap, I had to close my Comp usa card because it was going to close on it's own without anything I could do.  I saved a "Closed by Grantor" notation in doing so.

My credit mix will suffer even further in March when my only installment loan will close (auto loan).

My only remaining store card is a .... You guessed it; Circuit City card issued by Chase.

Circuit City when BK in November and now has announced all stores will close. 

Great.

My credit mix will (after March) be ...  Two Major Credit Cards and an AMEX green. 

My "Average account age" is 5 years.  I have 2 INQs on EX, 1 on EQ, 0 on TU.  TU FICO score is 752 and is my high score.  I have not checked my FICOs on EX or EQ yet.  FAKO's are 727, 741, and 749 respectively.

I am looking to avoid new INQ's and new TL's due to their inherent negative affects on short term FICO scoring.

My 2 year plan is to buy a house.

What would your strategie be?  New TL like a gas card or store card to keep the mix happy?  Just let it be?

Message 13 of 15
Established Contributor

Re: Multiple account closing

TowerHill wrote:

* Two Major Credit Cards and an AMEX green. 

* My "Average account age" is 5 years.

* TU FICO score is 752 and is my high score. 

I am looking to avoid new INQ's and new TL's due to

their inherent negative affects on short term FICO scoring.

My 2 year plan is to buy a house.

What would your strategie be?

New TL like a gas card or store card.......?

Just let it be?

Just Let It Be. Smiley Wink

My strategy would be to apply for nothing unless I absolutely needed it between now and applying for a mortgage.

Then again I have gone as many as 4 years without an app. Instead I would work on inquiry free credit limit increases on existing accounts.

The most important thing to consider is that GW letters usually have the best results if there has been 12 months of on time payments made on an open account since the occurrence of the last late.

I would not send any GW letters out until March. All recipients of the letters should be able to see that you have not been late with anybody for a whole year.

You can GW some of your older late accounts that you have paid on time for a year if you want, but I personally would wait until March myself.

Not last and certainly not least, I would pay off any balances as soon as possible and make a practice of PIFing. 

In two years I would guess 770 TU FICO even if a couple of lates should hang around. Without lates in file the score could be somewhat higher. Don't hold your breath for a much higher score however. At least in my experience, the rise in FICO above 760 was painfully slow Especially with TU.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Multiple account closing

Just want to remind you that there are 3 FICO scores.  A mortgage company will usually take the middle one.  I only saw you reference one score so I thought I'd point out that your middle one will need to get to 760 for you to get the best rate.  Also, it will have to be FICO scores, not the FAKO scores.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.