Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Polishing credit

tag
Croselx
Contributor

Re: Polishing credit

Can I apply for a BoA card living in PR? That bank doesn't seem to exist here. As for the apps, how should I go about them, all in 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? I'm willing to apply if my current estimates/story allow for at least a low limit approval.

Edit: I remember that the last app I did for walmart didn't go through due to verification issues so I went ahead and applied. Got a $1K discover auto-approved online. Think I should of waited? As for the bank card (PR bank) I'd rather not apply yet, they are really annoying to deal with and require the same amount of paperwork as a loan. When I do apply I'd like it to be after I have decent CLs and can guarantee a 5k+ CL from them to make the effort worth it.

As of Feb: AAoA 1 year, 10 months
CK TU: 740; Wal-Mart TU FICO: 721
CS EX: 715
8 CCs, 15 total accounts.
Negs on report: 1 30 day late aged 3 years
5 inquiries
Message 11 of 18
jamie123
Valued Contributor

You need to get a card from one of the following PRIME banks:

AMEX

Chase

CitiBank

Bank of America

Wells Fargo

Do you know if any of these banks have branches in PR?

You have a Discover card, that is considered a prime bank. You were a bit unclear with your last post, did you just now get approved for Discover?

App for 1 of the bank cards today.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 12 of 18
Croselx
Contributor

I think there was Citi here before, but it's been a while since I saw one. Will avoid them until my 30 day late reaches the 2 year mark as they seem pretty sensitive about it from my HD denials. The others I have never seen here (only AMEX cards through local banking). I would like a Sears MC, but not sure if I should apply because it is Citi and they have denied me 2 times already for HD.

** For the Discover I got approved earlier today. This wasn't planned so I'm happy if I don't/can't get another card until summer next year.

Edit: from what I found the major banks in the US have no presence here, but have contracts/deals with some local banks to offer their CCs/financial products.

5 inquiries
Message 13 of 18
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Well hey....Congrats on the Discover!  That is a PRIME bank card!

Treat it well and it will grow with you!

You really should try and get one more card now. You are still far away from needing a mortgage. The HPs you do now won't hurt you for the martgage down the road but if you could get another card now it will certainly help you for the mortgage.

Have you ever tried for the BoA 1-2-3 Rewards? If not, maybe try that now?

Message 14 of 18
Croselx
Contributor

Thanks!

As for BoA (and the other US banks) I haven't tried them because they don't have local branches and in their online app form they don't include PR as one of the states so I can't apply with my address. I may try to go for the Sears Master Card, should I wait a bit or apply today/tomorrow?

5 inquiries
Message 15 of 18
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I would suggest you apply now. Discover hasn't reported yet so you haven't taken a hit for Discover yet.

Good luck!

Let us know how it turns out.

Message 16 of 18
Croselx
Contributor

Applied for the Sears card in-store and got insta approved for $2.5k CL.Not sure if it is the MC, will have to wait as the store attendant didn't seem to know either. By this time I was very confident that I could finally get a Home Depot card and went ahead and applied... denied. I don't know what metric they use, but Sears is citi as well and they just approved me a few minutes before applying for HD. This is the third time that HD denies me this year (march, july, now).

Anyways I'm happy with what I got today and thankful for the advice, I'll be sure to go to 'farm mode' now and manage these accounts and hopefully they grow with me.

EDIT: Today checked CreditKarma and the 3 inquiries have already posted! The cards haven't posted yet.

5 inquiries
Message 17 of 18
jamie123
Valued Contributor

Congrats!

You did well!

These new cards will really help you build a stronger credit profile. If you treat all your cards right you should be able to get any card you want in a year.

Good luck!

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.