Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post a balance or no?

tag
ALLgoodABQ
Contributor

Post a balance or no?

So I just paid off my Apple rewards Barclays last week in full so it's at a zero balance with a 3k cl. Reading some other posts, some have said to let a card report a small balance for maximum scoring? Is that true or should I let it post at zero? And if a small balance is better, how much should it be?

Thanks guys. You have all taught me so much here!
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Post a balance or no?

It kinda depends on how many other cards you have.

Ideally you want at least one card to post a small balance.  It could even be just $1.  Just to show that you are actually using your credit and not letting it sit dormant.  Your other cards can report zero.

If you only have one CC account, that account should report non-zero every month.  Pay it down to a small balance before statement closing and let it report that.

I've seen it stated here the perfect combo for FICO "types of credit" score is 1 installment account and 3 CC accounts.  For CC accounts, one should report non-zero and the other two report zero.

Message 2 of 10
ALLgoodABQ
Contributor

I've got 4 accounts: the 3k Barclays, 500 Amex BC, 750 cap one QS, and a amazon store 900. All of my other cards have balances on them now, but working to pay all off. I'm at about 32% uti across all cards.
Message 3 of 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Ideally you want at least one card to post a small balance.  It could even be just $1.  Just to show that you are actually using your credit and not letting it sit dormant.  Your other cards can report zero.

It should be more than $1. Some lenders forgive small amounts rather than bothering to bill you, and they report zero. $5 should be a safe amount to ensure that you're billed.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

See my signature link, copy the spreadsheet, enter all your credit cards and it will tell you what to do.

Message 5 of 10
DollyLama
Established Contributor

@ALLgoodABQ wrote:
I've got 4 accounts: the 3k Barclays, 500 Amex BC, 750 cap one QS, and a amazon store 900. All of my other cards have balances on them now, but working to pay all off. I'm at about 32% uti across all cards

As you are working on the pay down of overall utilization, every couple of months, still charge a tank of gas on the Barclays, but pay it off BEFORE they send a statement with a balance. That way the card with your highest credit line will not be dormant for months, will still report with a zero balance. Do the same on all cards as they get paid off on a rotating schedule, one month gas, or netflix for example on Barclays, following month on the next account you chose to target to pay in full. Once you get down to the very last card with all others reporting zero balances at statement cuts not due date, as long as you are under 8.9 percent of its' total credit line you should be at optimal, If you wish to be lower, let at least a $10-20 balance, some people have reported the down to a dollar was construed and reported as a zero balance, and gonged for having all cards reporting zero. 

As your accounts if new age, hopefully the creditors will raise your lines of credit, or credit line increases can be asked for, but make sure they are only soft pull inquiries, you don't want a hard pull inquiry unless absolutely necessary. This can help on utilization, and if need to carry a higher balance than can extend the 8.9 percent to a higher amount without it affecting your score. 

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ALLgoodABQ wrote:
I've got 4 accounts: the 3k Barclays, 500 Amex BC, 750 cap one QS, and a amazon store 900. All of my other cards have balances on them now, but working to pay all off. I'm at about 32% uti across all cards.

Use the AZEO (All Zero Except One) technique, meaning allow 3 of your 4 cards to report $0 while the 1 of 4 reports a small balance between $5 and up to 8.99% of its credit limit.  So if that's your QS, for example, you could let a balance of $5 up to $67 report on it and you'd be maximizing your scoring with respect to utilization.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great replies as always from the Regulars (BBS, Heaven, Dolly, ABCD, etc.). 

But nice job from relative newcomer MrDisco as well.  Nice seeing you step in right away to help out someone even newer.

Message 8 of 10
ALLgoodABQ
Contributor

Agreed! You're all been so helpful in my rebuilding!

ABCD... I'll take a look at the spreadsheet. Thanks!
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ALLgoodABQ wrote:

ABCD... I'll take a look at the spreadsheet. Thanks!

Report back if you are confused or see any issues.  Have had a few people PM me with ideas and I'm adding a few things as time goes on to try to make it clearer.  

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.