Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepaid CREDIT CARDS same as standard cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Prepaid CREDIT CARDS same as standard cards

I need to get a credit card, just had bankruptcy. Do the prepaid cards improve scores as well as regular credit cards? Is there one in particular that is better than another?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Prepaid CREDIT CARDS same as standard cards

You mean secured? Yes, the card should report as any other card eventhough it is secured (just double-check with the CC company to confirm).
Message 2 of 12
Boswd
Valued Contributor

This is when it is really important to shop around some are better than others in terms of annual fee etc.   I would try your bank first, if no luck there then shop around  some are really bad and charge soo many fees, application fees, annual fees this and that, that even once you send in your money you have about $50 to start with.   try www.creditcards.com.   But I will go to your local bank first they normally offer the best deals interms of limited fees.
Message 3 of 12
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

BofA has a superb secured card called the 99/500 (you put $99 down and get a $500 CL).

The catch... You have to be denied one of their regualr cards first. And eventhough you are denied, they may or may not offer the 99/500.  
Message 4 of 12
Boswd
Valued Contributor

and they do offer traditional secured cards as well.   And the beuty of BofA (which I still can't get a secured cc LOL )   Is that what  Tuscani has said is you apply for their credit builder/unsecured card and then if denied they will send you links to the other more applicable cards without doing anymore credit inquires.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

What makes the 99/500 card with BofA superb? 
Message 6 of 12
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

^^ you get a $500 CL for only $99.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

How good is BofA though at converting it to a regular card?  I know someone who just got one so I'm curious.
Message 8 of 12
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure. The thing that sucks about upgrading or converting is you will likely lose account history.
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long does it typically take BofA to convert it to a regular card?  As long as you have other tl's it shouldn't hurt that much.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.