Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prepaying Car Loans

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Prepaying Car Loans

I just recently purchased a 2007 auto. I have 67 payments left. I have gap insurance through the life of the loan. Including all the bells and whistles the loan is 9.79% $474 per month. While I might be able to beat this rate by investing the approximately $25K left on the car loan I am thinking about prepaying this loan. I could easily rid myself of this paper by the end of 2008. Would I benefit by paying this car loan off early or should I just keep making the payments? Pay the 24+K left or pay off the loan to the tune of nearly $32K over the life of the loan? TIA.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Prepaying Car Loans

I would focus more on saving money here than worrying about your score. Pay what ever you can on principle and continue making payments on whatever is left.
Message 2 of 3
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Prepaying Car Loans

@Tuscani wrote:
I would focus more on saving money here than worrying about your score. Pay what ever you can on principle and continue making payments on whatever is left.

Thanks for your input Tuscani.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.