Established Member
Swoosh60

Question About Utilization on a Small Credit Line Card

Hi,

I understand that it's important to keep utilization low on credit cards in order to boost your FICO scores.  I have a question ... I just recently paid off my Ch. 13 bankruptcy (expect my discharge papers sometime in the next month), and I have a small Orchard Bank card ($400 line).  Let's say that there is no balance on that card ... does that count just as much (i.e., 0% utilization) on this small balance card, as let's say a much larger line credit card (i.e., $5000) and the utilization on that?  Or if and when I can get a $5000 card down the road, does keeping that balance low count more than a small balance card?

Just curious how this works.  Thanks!
Moderator Emeritus
Timothy

Re: Question About Utilization on a Small Credit Line Card

As far as UTL is concerned-
$40 on a $400 CL
and
$500 on a $5000 CL

The overall and ind UTL is the same.

Swoosh60 wrote:
Hi,

I understand that it's important to keep utilization low on credit cards in order to boost your FICO scores.  I have a question ... I just recently paid off my Ch. 13 bankruptcy (expect my discharge papers sometime in the next month), and I have a small Orchard Bank card ($400 line).  Let's say that there is no balance on that card ... does that count just as much (i.e., 0% utilization) on this small balance card, as let's say a much larger line credit card (i.e., $5000) and the utilization on that?  Or if and when I can get a $5000 card down the road, does keeping that balance low count more than a small balance card?

Just curious how this works.  Thanks!

Established Member
Swoosh60

Thanks, that's what I was hoping!
Contributor
InfinitiG35

Yeah, it doesn't really matter what the credit limit is... I have two credit cards, one with a $300 CL and the other with a $350 CL. I brought utilization down on both of them from 86% to 7% and you can see what it did for my scores in less than a month (see my signature).
Chase Slate: $4,800 | Upromise World: $4,000 | Chase Freedom: $4,000 | CapOne Platinum: $3,500 | CapOne Quicksilver: $3,000 | Credit One Bank: $1,500 | Sony Card: $1,000 | CapOne Discover: $300
Established Member
Swoosh60

Wow, that's great.  Thanks for the responses!

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+