Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question About Utilization

tag
EaglesFan2006
Established Contributor

Question About Utilization

If you pay off your card balances, how long does it normally take for your score to reflect the low utilization on a report?  I always get confused when I see the high balance listed and was wondering if that impacts your credit, even if the current balance is zero.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: Question About Utilization

Your score will reflect the utilization as soon as it is in your credit report.  It will be in the credit report a day or two after your creditor(s) do monthly updates, usually at the time of your statement date.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 2 of 4
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

To add, high balance doesn't mean anything for most all of your CCs. For the version of TU FICO on this website, high balance comes into play for certain charge cards.

Message 3 of 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@llecs wrote:

To add, high balance doesn't mean anything for most all of your CCs. For the version of TU FICO on this website, high balance comes into play for certain charge cards.

+1.

I can't conclusively state it's not part of the FICO algorithm (it is after all reported to us as consumers and not all data is which makes it suspect for inclusion); however, it's almost certainly used for underwriting.  There's a lot ot be said for having a high balance and then getting it repaid... demonstrated responsible use of credit.  

For CC's, older style CC's and some current Visa Signature (and World MC cards I think too) don't report a specific limit, in which case your high balance is used as your CL as far as FICO calculations are concerned for utilization.  Unfortunately that just adds to the confusion... fortunately it's not as common anymore and more and more lenders are now reporting limits across all cards.

        
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.