Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question Regarding Being Added as an Authorized User

tag
ddemari
Super Contributor

Question Regarding Being Added as an Authorized User

My mom and dad have always had excellent credit. I have made some mistakes in the past and have been seriously rebuilding. My credit scores are stuck in the 660's range because of charge offs from 2008/2009 and my AAOA is low. My mom has a Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa with a 25k limit and has a stellar 30 year credit history with a FICO of 848.

I do not even want the card in my hands (although I would love that card) but my purpose is just to have her history help boost me up. I have read so many different things about authorized users, I am wondering if anyone has been added to someone's amazing credit history and seen a quick improvement? I hate asking her to add me just because she is so sensitive about her credit and she should be, that if it will minimally help me I won't even ask. 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question Regarding Being Added as an Authorized User

Might help, won't hurt, amount is determined by the rest of your file.

You mentioned in another post you have 11+ tradelines, and I'm guessing based on your registration date your AAOA is about a year?  Should do the math on your real data, but on the assumption it's 11 tradelines, and exactly a year, you're looking at a boost to 3 years if you get access to the card and you don't have utilization issues based on your other post so that's negligible.

It'd be a bump under FICO '04, might get excluded on FICO 8 so all bets are off there, but it probably won't be OMG FANTASTIC!

On the other hand if you do ever carry a real balance someday on one of your cards, it's not a bad idea... to be brutally honest, if my dad had a quality tradeline I would've asked to be an AU when I was building, but his credit outside of his installment history is near non-existent so that wasn't in the cards.

        
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.