Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Average of Credit History

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Average of Credit History

Hi,

The reason of this post if because i think i might have made a bad move for my credit... Last year I got diferent credit cards at the same time wich caused my average of time to drop from 5 to 1.4 years wich cause my credit score to drop... ive always wanted to belong to the AMEX family and and red about the everyday card and people that had gotten approved and stuff.. i also read that people got approved and right away applied for the golde charge one... i decided to give it a go and got instantly approved for the everyday wich is awsome, but right after that i did what those people did and applied for the gold charge and was instantly approved for thatn as well... now after i slept on it i feel that thi is going to cause my credit to drop again since is 2 instead of one... my questions is, if i cancel it right now without even using it... will it be more beneficial for my average of credit or just keep it?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question about Average of Credit History

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

The reason of this post if because i think i might have made a bad move for my credit... Last year I got diferent credit cards at the same time wich caused my average of time to drop from 5 to 1.4 years wich cause my credit score to drop... ive always wanted to belong to the AMEX family and and red about the everyday card and people that had gotten approved and stuff.. i also read that people got approved and right away applied for the golde charge one... i decided to give it a go and got instantly approved for the everyday wich is awsome, but right after that i did what those people did and applied for the gold charge and was instantly approved for thatn as well... now after i slept on it i feel that thi is going to cause my credit to drop again since is 2 instead of one... my questions is, if i cancel it right now without even using it... will it be more beneficial for my average of credit or just keep it?

Even if you were to cancel now it would still likely report.  How'd you get from 5 to 1.4 years on 2 new accounts?  If you had a single account previously (which seems a little off for most people) you'd be at 1.25... or were you rounding down to 5 years?

New accounts short term are a drop, long term pretty irrelevant, but I'd double-check your math as you may not be as badly off as you suggest.

        
Message 2 of 4
TheConductor
Established Contributor

As Revelate confirmed, there is nothing you can do now to undo the impact of applications you have already made.

Ultimately, you are likely going to see a short-term score dip but in the mid-term you've done yourself a favor by getting 2 accounts on only one inquiry. Your score will likely recover a little faster than if you had generated 2 inquiries to establish the accounts.

Also, in the long term you are better off having more accounts open sooner, since (assuming your numbers are correct) a mere year and a half from now those accounts will be older than your current AAoA.

So to sum up, there's little to worry about here. Whatever score drop you see should be brief, and time will quickly correct that.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

Even if you were to cancel now it would still likely report.  How'd you get from 5 to 1.4 years on 2 new accounts?  If you had a single account previously (which seems a little off for most people) you'd be at 1.25... or were you rounding down to 5 years?

New accounts short term are a drop, long term pretty irrelevant, but I'd double-check your math as you may not be as badly off as you suggest.

It was 4 accounts i opened new...  2009/2013/2014/2014/2014/2014... Yesterday was that i opened 2 and i have no idea what will be now

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.