Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about account aging

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about account aging

I have a credit card that just turned 1 years old last month.  It is being reported to my reports tomorrow or monday.  Does that usually increase my score when a tradeline gets to be over 12mo old?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Question about account aging

FICO scores your average age of accounts ( AAoA ), which is derived from all of the accounts ( open & closed ) showing on your report.

If adding a 1 year old account increases your AAoA then you might see a FICO score bump.    But FICO also scores your revolving account utlilization, so if you %util increases then you may see a score decrease.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

IME, I've seen as much as 10+ when my most recent TL turns 1 year old. This happens usually when I don't have anything newer reporting. ETA...any change would likely occur on the first because 2 of the 3 CRAs backdate to the first for each TL.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

IME, I've seen as much as 10+ when my most recent TL turns 1 year old. This happens usually when I don't have anything newer reporting. ETA...any change would likely occur on the first because 2 of the 3 CRAs backdate to the first for each TL.

When you say on the first, do you mean the first day of the month that the cc account was opened or the following month? Example: CC account opened on 1/11

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

My understanding is that under the category of new credit, which also includes inquiries less than one year, accounts opened in the last year also lead to some score ding.

So I would not be surprised to see some point increase. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.