Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about being AU user on CC with 80-90% CU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about being AU user on CC with 80-90% CU

I'm AU on Suntrust Cash Rewards CC with $4000 SL. My gf is going to transfer $3200 on that card by the end of March so she won't pay any interest on her 2 other CCs (she is going to save around $300-450 by doing BT). On another hand it's going to be 80% CU on that card. We might also use this card for basic grocery purchases of $100-300/mo, PIF every month and on top of that pay $50-100/mo to reduce that balance close to $1500-2000 in 15 mo (that's when Suntrust's Intro APR/0% BT expires). So initial 80-90% CU on that card will slowly go down to 70-50% over the year.

My question is should I stay on this card as AU or should I ask her to remove me?

Reason why I was added: My AAoA is pretty low (under 6mo). Her's around 2.5 years. She has 100% on time payments and no baddies. She has over 15 accounts: CCs, installment loans/student loans. I had 2 CCs. That's it.

What happens if I stay as AU: If I will stay on this card my total CU will be around 25-29%. I will make sure I don't go over 30% every month. I know that it's ideal to stay under 9% but I also think that being under 30% should hurt my CS.

P.S.: when I was added as AU my CS went up around 25-35 points.

Jsut trying to figure out what it's going to do for me: more good or more harm?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: Question about being AU user on CC with 80-90% CU

If I'm reading your signature right, these are the opening dates of each CC and LOC? If so the Suntrust is not your oldest card, but 3rd in CCs which sometimes gives good score bumps. But since you have opened 2 accts since that one, I would remove yourself as AU. At this point in time, it's only helping keep utilization down, but as you mentioned it will raise it. It served it's purpose and now time to just garden and strengthen your file with your personal credit. 

Message 2 of 9
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I agree with DollyLama. Removing the AU doesn't affect your AoOA (age of oldest account), and your AAoA (average age of accounts) is going to end up being about the same.

The possible, but very minor, downside to dropping the AU is that some say that five cards is better than four. But the high utilization on the SunTrust card is going be much more significant than the possible advantage of one more card. You can look into a fifth card after a few months of gardening your current cards. And you'll be in a better position to do it with low utilization and four cards than with a card that's close to maxed.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. I might have my 5th card but not 100% sure. Applied online with Overstock, but I was a bit drunk . I think they approved me for $1400 but don't see any SPs yet. It's been almost a week.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

last time i was a bit drunk and apped i ended up with 4 cards and a few denials, only planned to apply for one lol. now i just continue to tell myself i dont need anymore cards haha

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's the reason why I drink only couple times a year. Can't wait to get Discover and hopefully Overstock too
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The overstock doesn’t give you an option to sign on online or anything other than waiting for the mail? I can’t stand that, I couldn’t remember if I was approved for the hsbc card and couldn’t look it up online, thought I was approved but wasn’t sure and i was like sweet when the card arrived. I like when they just let you go ahead and set up your account before receiving the actual card
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found Overstock under my account when I logged in! So yeah, I have 5 cards. Gotta remove myself from Suntrust on Monday.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Update. I was successfully removed from that account. EX is showing that account as closed. Is it good or bad for my credit score? Should I request complete removal or leave it as it is?
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.