Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about utiliztion

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about utiliztion

If I make a lumpsum payment on my credit cards taking my utilization from 65% to 5%, Will my score get a major one time boost or will it slowly go up since my utilization has hovered between 50 and 75% for the last 5 years?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about utiliztion

It should take a big one time boost - so long as no negatives are added as well.

Depending on the number of cards you have, try to work it so under half report and those that report are at 9% or lower. If you can pay it down to 5% across the board you should be able to shift it appropriately. But there is no need to play this game unless you are in the market for a loan right now
Message 2 of 8
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

Your score is a snapshot of the day it was pulled.  This means that the result should be immediate
The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I concur fully that current FICO score is a snapshot, with no memory cells.  But your CR is not.  A full CR includes a showing of prior balances for several months.  If a prospective creditior pulls you CR and sees high past balances, that may raise some questions.  FICO score is not the only consideration in a lendor decision.  So I would not offer the simple opinion that recent pays wipe out consideration of prior balances in a credit evaluation.
Message 4 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

After a big util paydown: immediate big hop, and then if you keep it low, and don't mess up with anything else, the scores will continue to creep upwards from there. When the sims say to pay your balances down over 24 months, this is what they're really meaning.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

RobertEG wrote:
I concur fully that current FICO score is a snapshot, with no memory cells.  But your CR is not.  A full CR includes a showing of prior balances for several months.  If a prospective creditior pulls you CR and sees high past balances, that may raise some questions.  FICO score is not the only consideration in a lendor decision.  So I would not offer the simple opinion that recent pays wipe out consideration of prior balances in a credit evaluation.

I tend to agree with these statements, Robert, but there is a flipside as well.  Having a record of large balances in the past which have since been paid off shows potential future creditors that one has a record of incurring debts and then paying them off over time.  I don't think a lender would necessarily hold it against an applicant just for having used the credit available to them and then having paid it off.  That is what credit is all about.

Message 6 of 8
fused
Moderator Emeritus

cheddar wrote:

RobertEG wrote:

I tend to agree with these statements, Robert, but there is a flipside as well.  Having a record of large balances in the past which have since been paid off shows potential future creditors that one has a record of incurring debts and then paying them off over time.  I don't think a lender would necessarily hold it against an applicant just for having used the credit available to them and then having paid it off.  That is what credit is all about.

Great post and I agree 100%!
Message 7 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Cheddar and fused, I would never dispute your learned opinions,  But the final decision is in the eyes of the lendor,  and not in the eyes of the forum.  A fico snapshot does not ensure a credit decision.  A snapshot of my ex-wife has littlle meaning to me on the rest of my life.

Message Edited by RobertEG on 04-24-2008 11:33 PM
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.