Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Credit Gurus out there

tag
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Question for Credit Gurus out there

This question is for all credit gurus out there.

The title says it all. Since "type of credit" is one of the weighing factors in FICO scoring model, should I take out a small personal loan (say $1000 for 1 year) to raise my FICO score? What will be it's impact on my FICO score with the process of time?

My CU offers a 1 year secured CD for $1000 at very low interest rate.

Thanks in advance!

By mistake, I posted this thread twice. IS THERE ANY WAY TO DELETE A THREAD?

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Question for Credit Gurus out there

What other installment loans are in your portfolio?

Possilble improvement in mix of credit (10% weighted category).

What is your currrent avg age of accts, and how many accts make up that average?

Definate decrease in AAoA, amount denpendent on current AAoA and tot no. of accts.

New inquiry and new acct will affect new credit category for one year.

Not a huge gain, if any.....

Message 2 of 5
hussain99
Established Member

I noticed from your other posts you are pretty new to credit. I think it won't help much

Message 3 of 5
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Started building credit 10 months ago.

4 credit cards, all during this time. 6 inquiries. No installment loan currently. I keep my utilization under 5%. My current score is 695. I'm starting to believe my score would increase very slowly since I only have CCs & it would take me a lot of time to reach 750+ without a mix of credit.

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 4 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.