Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on CC CL reporting to CRAs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on CC CL reporting to CRAs

In looking at my open and active accounts, 3 of 4 CC do not report a CL.   How do the CRAs interpret this in terms of FICO scores?    In the absence of a defined CL, do they use the highest previous balance?

My reason for asking is that there are CL established (per my statements) on these accounts, and they are significantly higher than the previous high balance.    If they use just this latter, it would explain by my total revolving debt utilization is reporting higher than I think it should be.

If this is true, should I attempt to get the CC to report the real CL to the CRAs, or is this just something I have to live with?   Other suggestions welcome.

Message 1 of 2
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Question on CC CL reporting to CRAs

Do you have no-preset-limit Visa Signature or MasterCard World cards? These can be a pain, because they usually do not report the true CL. One of our members did a lot of research last year, found the correct reporting code, and arm-wrestled her bank (Chase) into using it one time, but the next month they went back to same old, same old.

You're correct; for no-preset-limit cards, the formulas use the highest reported balance in lieu of a CL. It's possible to get a high balance to report if you can swing the timing. Right after your statement drops (which is when almost all cards update), run your balance up. Pay it off before the next statement date. This intra-cycle balance should report, and will be used as your CL for util purposes.

American Express charge cards do not have a CL, and EQ and EX ignore them for util purposes. The version of TU used here does go with highest previous balance, and unfortunately, AmEx only reports the highest balance statement, not the highest intra-cycle balance. So your TU score might suffer until the myFICO version is updated, but the other two should be OK. (I hope I've got this right; every time I post something about AmEx charge card util, I get shot out of the water. Smiley Sad )

There are a lot of threads debating these cards. Do a search in the box above left under visa signature, and that should bring them up.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 2
1 REPLY 1
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Question on CC CL reporting to CRAs

Do you have no-preset-limit Visa Signature or MasterCard World cards? These can be a pain, because they usually do not report the true CL. One of our members did a lot of research last year, found the correct reporting code, and arm-wrestled her bank (Chase) into using it one time, but the next month they went back to same old, same old.

You're correct; for no-preset-limit cards, the formulas use the highest reported balance in lieu of a CL. It's possible to get a high balance to report if you can swing the timing. Right after your statement drops (which is when almost all cards update), run your balance up. Pay it off before the next statement date. This intra-cycle balance should report, and will be used as your CL for util purposes.

American Express charge cards do not have a CL, and EQ and EX ignore them for util purposes. The version of TU used here does go with highest previous balance, and unfortunately, AmEx only reports the highest balance statement, not the highest intra-cycle balance. So your TU score might suffer until the myFICO version is updated, but the other two should be OK. (I hope I've got this right; every time I post something about AmEx charge card util, I get shot out of the water. Smiley Sad )

There are a lot of threads debating these cards. Do a search in the box above left under visa signature, and that should bring them up.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.