cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Charge Off / Collection Affect.

tag
rebuilder33

Question on Charge Off / Collection Affect.

I have a question regarding how collection accounts affect credit scores.

If a person has a credit card that is charged off with a charged off status I understand their score takes a hit for that charge off (as well as it reporting late).

If the OC sells that account to a collection agency a year or so later. When the collection agency then reports the same debt does that second entry also affect your credit score?

I guess to summarize are you penalized twice for the same debt score wise as it is reported twice?

Original Score: 404 12/2012
Current Score: 555 03/2014
Goal: 620
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question on Charge Off / Collection Affect.

@rebuilder33 wrote:

I have a question regarding how collection accounts affect credit scores.

If a person has a credit card that is charged off with a charged off status I understand their score takes a hit for that charge off (as well as it reporting late).

If the OC sells that account to a collection agency a year or so later. When the collection agency then reports the same debt does that second entry also affect your credit score?

I guess to summarize are you penalized twice for the same debt score wise as it is reported twice?

As I understand it, it's seperate.

The status line isn't really factored into the score as I understand it, but the payment history is: so the lates on the OC tradeline absolutely count.  When it goes to collection, there's the seperate line entry for the collection account and it goes into a seperate part of the scorecard and is calculated seperately.  I don't think it's double-dipping on the charge-off as a result.

        
Message 2 of 5
rebuilder33

Absolutely I understand the lates would affect the score.

Just so I make sure I understand. Obviously there would be a score drop when the OC charges off the account (lets say from 620 - 580), but you DO NOT believe there would be a secondary drop lets say (580-540) when the collection account is reported for that charge off?

Original Score: 404 12/2012
Current Score: 555 03/2014
Goal: 620
Message 3 of 5
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@rebuilder33 wrote:

Just so I make sure I understand. Obviously there would be a score drop when the OC charges off the account (lets say from 620 - 580), but you DO NOT believe there would be a secondary drop lets say (580-540) when the collection account is reported for that charge off?

You lose points for the delinquent Charge-Off account -and- you lose points for the collection.  They are treated as seperate accounts.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 4 of 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@DaveSignal wrote:

@rebuilder33 wrote:

You lose points for the delinquent Charge-Off account -and- you lose points for the collection.  They are treated as seperate accounts.

This; I re-read what I originally posted and I wasn't clear.  The payment history leading to the charge-off and the collection are seperate and both affect the resultant score.

        
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.