Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on improving credit score by paying down credit card balances

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question on improving credit score by paying down credit card balances

I was wondering if when your credit score is calculated if it matters if your credit card balances have been low for the last reported balance (just one month) or if it has been low for the last year or two.

I ask because when I got my recent report I had paid my balances down for the last two months to make sure the used/available credit ratio was low. However, one way that it suggested I improve my score is by "Best Action - Pay Down 90%-100% of Your Credit Card Balances Over the Next 24 Months"

FYI: I do pay off my cards every month, have good credit, etc... Just was wondering the answer to this question.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Question on improving credit score by paying down credit card balances

Welcome to the forums!

No, it does not matter. You will see a score improvement one way or the other and the sooner you pay down your balances the sooner you will see the improvement.

Message 2 of 3
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Question on improving credit score by paying down credit card balances

Welcome.

FICO scoring has no memory. It doesn't care what was in your report last year. last month, or even yesterday. It only scores what is available the moment it is pulled.

From a BK years ago to:
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

You can do the same thing with hard work.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.