Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about Transactor/Revolver distinction

tag
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Questions about Transactor/Revolver distinction

I am aware that banks are now taking into account the distinction between "transactors" -- people who pay off balance every month -- and "revolvers" -- those who carry balances over, having concluded that transactors are less likely than revolvers to default.

Questions:

1. Is this distinction being factored into FICO?

2. Does the "transactor" classification distinguish between those who pay off balance after statement date, and those who pay it off before statement cuts?

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: Questions about Transactor/Revolver distinction

@SouthJamaica wrote:

I am aware that banks are now taking into account the distinction between "transactors" -- people who pay off balance every month -- and "revolvers" -- those who carry balances over, having concluded that transactors are less likely than revolvers to default.

Questions:

1. Is this distinction being factored into FICO?

2. Does the "transactor" classification distinguish between those who pay off balance after statement date, and those who pay it off before statement cuts?

The way it's factored in is that if you're a revolver, then you have more cards reporting balances.  Thus, you're deflating your score.  In addition, some revolvers also carry higher balances.  Thereby decreasing their score based on utilization.

Banks want a mix of both types of clients, because they make a lot more money from revolvers, but have less risk with transactors.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Questions about Transactor/Revolver distinction

Hi SJ!  There is no evidence that the R-T distinction is being factored into current or  past FICO models (if by "current" one means FICO 8 or earlier).

In other words, as long as two people have identical accounts, utilization, inquiries, derogs, etc. -- then one guy will not have a higher score if he had a history of transacting vs. another guy who has a history of revolving.

This is not surprising because FICO 8 was released several years ago, substantially before the R-T data from the three CRAs became available.  

For any visitors to this thread who may not know what  SJ is refering to, here is a good article about it.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/realestate/a-focus-on-credit-history-formortgage-approvals.html...

As you can see, Fannie Mae will be incorporating some non-FICO technology (made by TransUnion) into their underwriting product which will add this kind of R-T analysis into its decisions.  This is supposed to happen in about 7 months from now.  I  am sure that the R-T distinction will eventually be a big part of conventional credit scores soon (e.g. FICO 9 or 10), though it's always possible it might take years to adopt the new models.

As far as your second question, we had a long talk about that on a recent thread.  I think that the view of folks on the thread was that people who Pay To Zero (pay their credit cards to $0 before they report) will probably benefit from Transactor status just as much as people who PIF (if by that we mean wait until their statements report positive balances, and then pay the full amount after the statement cuts but before it is due).  I was less sure of this than some other folks but I was more convinced by the end of the discussion.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.