Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about accounts reporting zero balance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Questions about accounts reporting zero balance

In another week or so, I will be paying 3 of my cards to a zero balance. I currently have 8 cards. It's going to take a couple more months to pay another 3 to a zero balence. I plan on keeping a 5% balence on my last 2 cards. Now my question is.... Is it better to keep them at a zero or should I keep around 5 dollars on them to show use. I'm just concerned that a zero balance will eventually either get me cld or closed. Would it be best to keep a zero balance and use the cards every month for a very small purchase, and immediately pay it off? That way it shows use?
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Questions about accounts reporting zero balance

You ask which is better, but the best answer is: better for what?

(1)  Do you have anything important coming up, where you have a particular need to maximize your score (squeeze out every possible point)?  E.g. like an auto loan or a mortgage pre-approval?

Or (2) are you more in a "gardening" situation where you just want to know a strategy that will be best for you long-term (no need for an important credit pull quivering on the horizon)?

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That might have helped huh? Lol sorry. I'm gardening until April, but I want to start practicing monthly habits. I was maxed out in my cc for 2 years. Just paid them down. Util is now 16% and one of my cards will be reporting next week. I want to just change my ways for the better.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I want to change my ways for the better too, pal!  Diet, exercise, etc.-- the list doesn't end.  :-)

One thing you have identified is that, although you are still carrying some CC debt (on which you pay interest), you have made a plan to pay it way down over the next three months.  AWESOME.  This is definitely changing your ways for the better.  It's the best thing you can do right now, because you will get out of the trap of paying CC companies their ultra-high interest rates.  It helps equally with scenario (1) or (2).

Since you are in a gardening phase (#2), my advice is the following:

• When a card's balance gets paid off, don't worry about keeping it at $0.  Rather, set that card up on auto-pay so that it pays in full the balance reported in the monthly statement.  (PIF). 
  • Use your cards naturally and let their positive balances appear on your reports.  It's no problem long term, and in fact it's a good thing.  Remember, if a card reports at $75 one month, you will also (by virtue of auto-pay) have paid that off before it became due.
  • If, on a given month, every single card reports a positive balance, fine.  If a few of them that month have a zero, fine. 
  • If it becomes evident to you that you use a certain card so rarely that, many months could conceivably go by with it reporting a zero, then make an intentional effort to use that card.  One strategy is to put a small recurring charge on it, like a $7.99 Netflix, say.  Or just work out a plan to make sure you use it to buy a cup of coffee every three months.  (But be sure you wait long enough for that cup of coffee to generate a statement and report to the CRAs.)   Whatever works.  The reason (which you identified) is to ensure that it will never be cancelled for lack of use.
  • Don't worry about utilization while you are gardening.  Just make sure you PIF and keep each card from ever being maxed out.  (Maybe under 70%?)

If you ever move back into phase #1 (you need every single fraction of a point possible), then:

• Make sure all CC's but one report at $0.
  • The remaining positive balance should be < 9% of that card's credit limit.

I will add a purely anecdotal observation of my own.  My own personal experience is that I get a better maximal result out of having an overall ultilization (which counts all credit limits) of less than 2% but more than 1%.  For example, 1.1%.  Thus I personally cannot recommend having a really tiny balance (like $5) as your sole positive balance, though other people seem to be fine with that.

Finally, you may develop a desire to increase your credit limits while you are gardening.  If so, you will find some threads at myFICO devoted just to that.  I think the recomended strategy in that case is to keep pushing the card close to the CL but still under that.  Then a few days after the statement prints, pay off the amount owed.  Then run it up again, etc.  Again, I have never done this, but I think that's what people recomend if you are trying to induce the CC issuer to spontaneously give you a CLI.  It seems like an OK strategy to me as long as you aren't under the impression that a higher CL will in itself improve your score, and as long as the strategy doesn't cause you to spend spend more money than you otherwise would.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, you make an excellent financial adviser! 😜 the cards I'm paying off completely are horrible cards. Credit one, verve, milestone. I will never run them up again. Probably cancel them when I get everything I want.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the kind word!

Quick question: are the cards that you have thought about eventually cancelling (Credit one, verve, milestone, etc.) ones that charge you an annual fee? 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes!!! I want them gone. 😊
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very wise choice it sounds like.  Naturally, any time you cancel a card, make sure you know what card's CL was so you can subtract it from your total available CL.  The good thing about keeping your CU low is that you can cancel a card you hate without it wrecking your ratio.

Even after you cancel your three ugly cards, you will still have five good ones left over.  Five nice open CCs is more than enough CC's for building a great score.  I myself have only four (until March of this year I only had three), and I have been above 820 for a long time.  Five cards is a great number, though some people like having more, which is also fine too.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm hoping to to replace those credit lines with other cards. It's only 1500 total. Stupid milestone is only 250😂
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.